2000 mealworms, 0 beetles.....what?!?!? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-14-2004, 07:55 PM   #1
josh06
2000 mealworms, 0 beetles.....what?!?!?

I bought 2000 mealworms from Lucky Lure cricket farm about 2 weeks, and NONE have morphed into aliens and beetles yet. I only have a couple hundred left, but I find it odd that none have morphed yet. I keep them in oats, and given them carrots and potatoes. Last time I ordered 1000 from a different place and had about 10 beetles. Why, would I have none this time?? Could it be something that I am feeding them or something that the Lucky Lure cricket farm was feeding them?? I know some of you other guys buy from them, so do you get beetles from their mealworms?? Thanks!!

Old 06-14-2004, 08:31 PM   #2
gmherps
My guess would be that these you have were a bit smaller.

Old 06-14-2004, 09:04 PM   #3
Blazin
You fed them faste than they could Morph!

Or maybe the temp in your room is cooler than normal. I imagine you also might have gotten some smaller ones.

Old 06-14-2004, 09:13 PM   #4
josh06
Actually it was quite the opposite. These mealworms were larger than the last batch I got. Most of them were very large. Also, the room stays in the high 70's, low 80's. I think you are right though Chad, that I am feeding them faster than they can morph. I feed the smaller ones first, and see what happens. Thanks,

Old 06-14-2004, 10:54 PM   #5
Mark and Aimee
My best advice for you is to order a couple thousand more, and leave them alone. Don't use them for feeders... And let nature take it's course. You might have to give them a month or so. But they will produce...

Old 06-15-2004, 07:32 AM   #6
Lemur_6
could you have possibly gotten superworms instead of mealworms? I have some supers around from 4 months ago, and only one has pupated.

-Lemur 6

Old 06-15-2004, 10:45 AM   #7
josh06
Thanks, I ordered some more, and I am gonna set half of them aside.

Lemur, they are definetely mealworms. Oh, and if you want your superworms to morph, put one in those little film containers and it will morph.

Old 06-15-2004, 02:38 PM   #8
Bitten
Could they be the "GIANT Mealworms" commonly used for bait fishing.

"Lucky lure" not familiar with them but sounds like fishing bait!!

They are given a hormone so that they don't moph!

Just my 2

Old 06-15-2004, 03:05 PM   #9
josh06
Luckly Lure is a place in FL that only sells to FL residents. I heard about it from some of the other people on this forum. They sell reptile calcium too, so I know they keep them. I ordered the regular mealworms though, not the "giant" ones. Because the giant ones were$10 more per thousand. So, they were regular mealies...

Old 06-15-2004, 07:01 PM   #10
Lemur_6
Quote:
Originally posted by josh06
Thanks, I ordered some more, and I am gonna set half of them aside.

Lemur, they are definetely mealworms. Oh, and if you want your superworms to morph, put one in those little film containers and it will morph.
No no, I don't want them to morph, one thing I like about the supers is that they don't morph. Breeding them is another issue all together... my mealworm beetles smell bad, I don't even wanna know what super beetles smell like. I hear they also like manure.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!