Carnivorous Plants - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Flora > Flora General Discussions

Notices

Flora General Discussions This will cover anything and everything you all wish to discuss about plants.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:35 PM   #11
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
--I know venus fly traps will die once they flower, and it might be the same with these.
Hmm, that's interesting to know. How old do flytraps have to be before they will flower? I've wondered why I will see people selling flytraps a few years old, so now this has got me wondering if they are just trying to dump them before they flower and die.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:04 PM   #12
Outcast
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
Hmm, that's interesting to know. How old do flytraps have to be before they will flower? I've wondered why I will see people selling flytraps a few years old, so now this has got me wondering if they are just trying to dump them before they flower and die.
From my understanding, you can keep them from flowering by cutting the flower stalk off from the plant. You can also use some rooting hormone on the cut end to the stalk and create a clone of the plant. I am actually trying to clone one of the ones that I have from Lowes Hardware, via leaf pullings. I found a youtube video on how to do it.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:25 PM   #13
WebSlave
Connie and I mixed up a batch of perlite and peat moss today, and found some tubs at Home Depot to set up a little colony of insectivorous plants.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/2020861...3#.UWxSKHwnB8E

We dug out a hole in the ground so the lip of the tub sits pretty much flush with the ground. The hole is lined with horticultural fabric to try to keep grass and other plants from invading the tub through the drainage holes.

I'm not sure I did this right, but I drilled drainage holes two inches from the top so rainwater won't fill them to the brim. But I'm not sure if the holes are low enough. Not having ever looked at the root systems of sundews or flytraps, I don't know what depth the water level actually should be. I'm guessing the root systems should be rather shallow based on where they are found natively, but wouldn't be the first time that my logic would fail me.

So I'm going to order a few sundews and fly traps and just see how they do in that thing. Should get PLENTY of sun where we put it, and hopefully we'll get enough rain that we don't have to use our drinking stock of distilled water too much. Certainly we have enough bugs around here to get those plants fat and sassy. Heck, I could feed them the dead mosquitoes caught in the mosquito magnets for decades just from the batch I caught over the last several days.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:36 PM   #14
Outcast
They are fun. I just noticed that one of my "Red Dragons" is flowering, and a leaf pulling that I did with one of the VFT's from Lowes is actually starting to get leaves on it. So far it seems as though I am doing things right. I may go ahead and let the red dragon flower, I have 6 more and can always do leaf pullings. I really want to self pollinate it and get some seeds to start. This way I will know that they are fresh seeds, instead of the crappy ones from Hobby Lobby.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:57 PM   #15
WebSlave
If you ever find that video you mentioned concerning "leaf pullings", could you point me to it?

Are there any of the online sellers of insectivorous plants that you would recommend or I should avoid?

Old 04-15-2013, 04:07 PM   #16
Outcast
http://www.flytrapcare.com/ <are the only people I have current experience with. I ordered a set of 5 of the "red dragon" VFT, they sent 7. They were so healthy that one of them is actually flowering, and they are quite young plants. They also have a forum attached to their store page. http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/

And, here is the thread with the video that I saw about leaf pullings. http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/cl...me-t18171.html

Old 04-15-2013, 04:33 PM   #17
WebSlave
Checking out some videos about these plants....

Old 04-16-2013, 01:38 AM   #18
WebSlave
Here's a few videos that show some propagation techniques for flytraps.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:36 PM   #19
LauraB
I've been raising different carnivors for a few years now, so can highly recommend Jeff and Jacob at Sarracenia Northwest (www.cobraplant.com) as a source for quality plants and info. I was so thrilled with what I received and learned from them back I made them a "mascot" that went into one of their first E-books and their website. Spike, the flytrap, lol.

The Savage Garden is also valuable.

I don't raise my plants in a bog setting. All mine are in same-species tubs/containers as I've found it's easier to meet their individual needs that way. I always use long fiber sphagnum moss as well. And yes, absolutely distilled water. I haven't taken photos of mine for a long time, but here are a few.
Attached Images

Old 04-16-2013, 08:43 PM   #20
LauraB
And yes, even though I love when my sarracenia flower, I always cut the early flower stalks off them and the flytraps to conserve the plants energy for foliage growth.

Here's an example of sarracenia flowers, though. Really cool.

Oh, and Spike, the former, likely retired mascot of Jacob and Jeff, lol.
Attached Images

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!