Reptile color/genetics book? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization

Notices

Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization General discussions about the science of genetics as well as the ever changing face of taxonomy. Issues concerning hybridization are welcome here as well.

Old 12-13-2004, 03:16 PM   #1
DragonCharm
Reptile color/genetics book?

I am looking for a certain book that was recommended to me, can't recall the name. With the name I was able to find it on Amazon but I can't find it now since I don't know the name. It was specifically about the genetics of specific color morphs, recessive/dominant genes, etc and was written by a Dr. So-and-so. Cover price was roughly $85. Anyone know the book I am talking about? Name, author or ISBN would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-14-2004, 02:58 AM   #2
chondrogal
I believe you're looking for "Reptile and Amphibian Variants" Colors, Patterns, and Scales by H. Bernard Bechtel Krieger Publishing. Too lazy to get out my glasses to read the ISBN number

Old 12-14-2004, 10:18 AM   #3
DragonCharm
That's it, thanks.

Old 12-14-2004, 11:57 AM   #4
DragonCharm
Btw, anyone have this? Recommend it or is there a better book that is similar?

Old 12-14-2004, 11:21 PM   #5
chondrogal
Color Genetics

I just purchased my copy two days ago at IRBA show in Pomona!!! Was funny when I saw your post because I had also heard about this book awhile back from a couple different people that I had been discussing the color genetics of chondros. Thankfully, one of those friends was with me at the show and when at book table of local herp society and I rememered to ask him once again the name. I was so happy they had a "special" on it of $35 with only one copy... I snapped it up immediately!! Best deal of the day for me for sure.

I think the target audience for this pretty detailed scientific book is fairly small, but those of us with interest in the subject matter are thrilled to have such an excellent book at fingertips!

Old 12-14-2004, 11:43 PM   #6
DragonCharm
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvchondros
I just purchased my copy two days ago at IRBA show in Pomona!!! Was funny when I saw your post because I had also heard about this book awhile back from a couple different people that I had been discussing the color genetics of chondros. Thankfully, one of those friends was with me at the show and when at book table of local herp society and I rememered to ask him once again the name. I was so happy they had a "special" on it of $35 with only one copy... I snapped it up immediately!! Best deal of the day for me for sure.

I think the target audience for this pretty detailed scientific book is fairly small, but those of us with interest in the subject matter are thrilled to have such an excellent book at fingertips!
Certainly not a NY Times best seller. But for those of us that ARE that nerdy it should be a great book. Got a copy on order from Amazon used for $39.50, list there was $67 or so. I think it used to be $85 or something.

Old 01-23-2005, 09:50 AM   #7
Mike Greathouse
Richard / Cathy,
Just wondering if either of you have had the opportunity to get into the book yet? This subject matter interests me as well - would either / both of you recommend the book?

Thanks,

Old 01-23-2005, 03:12 PM   #8
DragonCharm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Greathouse
Richard / Cathy,
Just wondering if either of you have had the opportunity to get into the book yet? This subject matter interests me as well - would either / both of you recommend the book?

Thanks,
I haven't read much of it but would certainly recommend it based on what I have looked at so far. Look on Amazon for the book, I was lucky enough to find one "used" in their marketplace for $40. It looked to be brand new when I got it and was shrinkwrapped, looked like it was never opened.

Old 01-23-2005, 03:23 PM   #9
Mike Greathouse
Richard,
Thank you - I'll check it out.

Old 02-03-2005, 09:28 AM   #10
Prttyhtmchn
Thumbs up

I got this book a few years ago. My reptile vet had an extra one, & decided to let me keep it. It's a great book, although a tad bit outdated since there are so many other morphs that have come out in the past few years. I'd definitely recommend it, though.
-Prttyhtmchn

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!