Shipping tortoise eggs? - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 03-30-2018, 06:59 PM   #21
Rosy Boas
This is just me looking at the entire picture. I don't know the seller BUT this is just my personal experience. I have quit a lot of reptiles as well as farm animals . I have to say that I have ordered eggs for pheasants, ducks and chickens. there is a certain joy in seeing them from conception. Plus there is usually a price break for the risk. I would assume an embryo in an egg is the same bird , tortoise or reptile (maybe I'm wrong). Murry McMurry does it and they are very well known. Was my success rate high ,, no but I did have some success. I only tried it last year for the first time. I don't think what he is doing is a scam. Its a risk not a scam. lots of company's /people in other fields will sell eggs including salamander or frog. Again Im sure all eggs are a tad different but to run the guy down isn't right unless he knowingly is selling unfertilized eggs or charging full price of a baby and I haven't seen that. soory this is just my opinion.

Old 03-30-2018, 07:41 PM   #22
AbsoluteApril
Since now direct references for business deals are being asked for and provided, this is heading into BOI territory and not a general discussion. Lucille started one for this actually: http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=651458

Old 03-31-2018, 06:39 AM   #24
rbetz-Tortstork
Actually, I could use all your help. I’m launching a new website, and I think it would be best to have a detailed FAQ section. Please respond back with some of your questions about tortstork and how it works. I will make sure to include them on the FAQ page. Thank you in advance.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:34 PM   #25
Helenthereef
Well, having made this comment below in an earlier post, one of my questions would be; "what is the time limit after laying to ship safely without affecting the embryo's development?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
....without being ANY sort of tortoise expert, but being a basic biologist, I'd hazard a guess that if they are shipped VERY early after laying, (and at a stable temperature, not sure how you'd control that), before there has been much cell division, you might be OK, apart from the gamble as to whether they were fertile or not. If you ship once the embryo develops further and starts to differentiate into specific tissues and organs, the risk of movement affecting the development would be much greater.

Old 04-03-2018, 02:00 AM   #26
pardalis1
Agreed Will.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:28 PM   #27
dtcho100
I have a hard time believing that a tortoise egg would hatch after being shipped. Have you seen how packages are tossed around during the shipping process? Having hatched out a good number of turtle and tortoise eggs, I can say from experience that eggs are delicate. Shaking them is an excellent way of killing them. Also, the eggs must be maintained in the same orientation as they were laid. If an egg was packaged carefully and carefully delivered by hand under reasonable temperatures, it might hatch. But this does not happen with shipments by mail or overnight courier. I have personally seen how packages are tossed abut.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:56 PM   #28
rbetz-Tortstork
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcho100 View Post
I have a hard time believing that a tortoise egg would hatch after being shipped. Have you seen how packages are tossed around during the shipping process? Having hatched out a good number of turtle and tortoise eggs, I can say from experience that eggs are delicate. Shaking them is an excellent way of killing them. Also, the eggs must be maintained in the same orientation as they were laid. If an egg was packaged carefully and carefully delivered by hand under reasonable temperatures, it might hatch. But this does not happen with shipments by mail or overnight courier. I have personally seen how packages are tossed abut.
I have 55 successful eggs shipped out of 56. Hatchlings are all doing great. It’s tough to change people’s mind set. Some people just can’t believe. It works, come check my website (tortstork.com) out for reviews and testimonials from some well known tortoise breeders around the country. If you would like details on my stats, I’m more than welcome to discuss with you. Email me tortstork@tortstork.com. I also ship with a Govee hygrometer and pay for the return of it. Which documents the temps through out the shipment. I transfer the data via Bluetooth. The temps are very safe. Doesn’t go below 76 or above 90. I have all that research too.

Old 04-19-2019, 11:12 PM   #29
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbetz-Tortstork View Post
I have 55 successful eggs shipped out of 56.
An amazingly successful statistic, if true, since eggs are so fragile. Proof?

Old 04-19-2019, 11:18 PM   #30
rbetz-Tortstork
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
An amazingly successful statistic, if true, since eggs are so fragile. Proof?
I have proof. I have pictures, i have documentation of every egg shipped. Every egg i post on my Instagram and Facebook. Some are eggs that were shipped to me. Just to prove that it’s very simple to reproduce the shipping technique. The one egg that didn’t make it just happened last week. It was fully developed. Not sure what happened to it. A couple variables that were out of our control. I also have repeat customers. People who loved it so much, they have bought eggs again. I have eggs that have been shipped across country, down south, even up north.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!