Would you ever have guessed... - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization

Notices

Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization General discussions about the science of genetics as well as the ever changing face of taxonomy. Issues concerning hybridization are welcome here as well.

Old 04-11-2005, 06:04 PM   #11
sircat
yeah it is...I think hybrids are cool as long their breeding doesn't take over...and I don't think it will
really pretty and congrats

Old 04-11-2005, 07:13 PM   #12
LakesideBoas
This would be the first time I would ever volunteer for a Coma! (pun intended!) They are adorable.

I see nothing wrong with these crosses as they are labeled as just what they are. There should be no mistaking these for pure anything. It's when the waters get too muddy that I have a problem with mis-representing animals either intentionally or un-intentionally.

I do not see that happening here and would trust N.E.R.D.'s word for any animal I would purchase.

Old 04-11-2005, 08:13 PM   #13
robin d.
Quote:
To each his own. Pretty fascinating to find out that the cross would even work to start with.
Kara, i seem to remember , well never mind but man oh man things REALY do change while others never will

Old 04-11-2005, 09:04 PM   #14
reptilebreeder
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin s.
jeebus H more damn hybrids... why cant people just leave them alone... they are beautiful as is....
Glad to know I'm not the only one. Corn/kings are one thing, but something with less bloodlines, that will never be imported again.

Old 04-11-2005, 11:30 PM   #15
Gekkonida
Those look wowo!

Old 04-13-2005, 06:02 AM   #16
WingedWolf
I think they're gorgeous, and fascinating. I don't think they should eclipse pure womas or carpets, of course, but in terms of what we just learned from that cross, it can't be beat. Now, of course, the next step is to find out if these hybrid offspring are fertile.

So long as their bloodline is kept track of carefully, hybrids aren't terrifically different from any of the color morphs--you wouldn't want those loose in the wild, either.
If this was being done in an area where womas or carpets were native, there might be more cause for concern...as it is, those are some BEAUTIFUL snakes, I can't want to see what they'll look like as adults!

Old 04-13-2005, 08:38 AM   #17
starwarsdad
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWolf
I don't think they should eclipse pure womas or carpets, of course, but in terms of what we just learned from that cross, it can't be beat.
What was learned from the cross other than that it could be done?

Old 04-17-2005, 09:32 AM   #18
Gordon c. Snelling
What a shame.

Old 04-17-2005, 10:04 AM   #19
LakesideBoas
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwarsdad
What was learned from the cross other than that it could be done?
Which debunked a boatload of theories about genetics that most likely have a room full of taxonomists somewhere pulling all their hair out about now.

Even if this information isn't followed up by the "professionals" in taxonomy, this simple fact opens new doors and changes thinking for those of us persuing this hobby.

Think about it.

Old 04-17-2005, 05:09 PM   #20
robin d.
culling sometimes isnt so easy but sometimes the best thing for the genus or subfamilia

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!