kenneth Yates of South Carolina - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 12-17-2003, 07:07 PM   #21
diamondback1
I agree with Neil that the responsibility falls on the shipper more so in this case then the carrier. As far as the climate controlled area goes every airport air cargo area is different. When I worked for Delta in Hartford and Providence years ago while in college there was no specific are to keep the animals in extreme weather conditions other then the office area. Most animals would be brought into this area. There were many times though when they would be left in the heat or cold because the staff working at the time was petrified of the snakes getting out. Hopefully Delta has implemented a policy for proper storage at every location since I left.

Old 12-17-2003, 07:10 PM   #22
The BoidSmith
Was Delta even aware there were live venomous snakes in the box? Was the package adequately labeled (with regards to species, etc.)? What kind of a box was used for shipment? As far as I understand venomous snakes have to be shipped in a wood and not a cardboard box. What I'm now wandering is if Delta even knew there were live animals in that shipment.

Thanks.

Old 12-17-2003, 07:30 PM   #23
Dragondad
Agree

Neil has it right, the responsibility for this lies with Ken Yates. It has been shown that he is a looser and this just puts the icing on the cake. He keeps trying to act like a big boy,(hired someone else to box them) but in the end he doesnt give a darn about anything but robbing a little of Peter to pay Paul. Bet the money went to help bail out his siding business. And since it appears that money is what was used to start the reptile business when will if ever end. Wonder what Anja is doing? and if she is still tied to him???

Old 12-17-2003, 09:43 PM   #24
Greg Riso
Don't You Have To Verify...

the animals are dead or alive in front of one of the airlines employees before even departing with the package? Whenever I've received anything I've always had to inspect the animals in front of an employee to verify the animal's status. They even mark it as having arrived alive on the paperwork. I can understand with venomous snakes this may not be the procedure for safety reasons. My bet is the actual contents were not specified and I think the shoddy packing job is 100% Ken Yates responsibility, NOT the airlines. Delta should ban himfromshipping with them after this incident. One idiot like that can put an end to the airlines handling live reptiles period. Then where will we be?

Old 12-17-2003, 09:59 PM   #25
Wilomn
Venomous reptiles do have different container requirements that most certainly includes wood boxes. If this was not the method used then Delta should definately be notified of kennyboys taking everyones lives for granted.

I would also highly recommend that necropsies be done on at least a few of the dead snakes to determine if they were even alive when shipped. It would surprise me not at all to hear that they were dead before they left kennyboy's place.

Wes Pollock

Old 12-18-2003, 12:39 AM   #26
herpetological
The specimens should have absolutely been packed differently. The little hand warmers last less than 4 hours..6 at best. The boxes should have been wooden and built as per Delta/IATA regulations. Minimum 3/4 NOT 1/4" insulation. Was it shipped Dash or Priority freight? I have shipped with Delta for over 25 years and know many of the supervisors. They are surprisingly cooperative with placing the boxes inside or in a heated holding area(For dogs and Cats etc.) if you ask. I've had them make mistakes however. The specimens should not have been dead in 40 and up temps?? Even tropical species can survive colder temps for short periods. I can give you plenty of direct examples. They'll usually have some complications after but, can survive it. Why would he have someone else pack them?? Were the boxes clearly marked? Seems to be plently of points racking up against Ken in this one.

Old 12-18-2003, 12:56 AM   #27
ElapsMan
For what it's worth...

I spoke to one of the parties involved, and learned that Mardi Snipes was paid to pack and ship the animals. I was also told that Mardi said ALL the snakes that were paid for were packed and shipped, so it is a mystery that some did not make it to the destination. I have heard a lot of good things about Mardi, and have never heard anything that would imply that he is a theif. I also tend to agree with Herpetological's remark that the snakes should not have died even if they were exposed to 40 degree temps for a little while. I could see it making them sick, but not killing them. After all, how long could they have been exposed to the cold? It cold only be for the little while after the plane landed, because I doubt the airlines let the area they load the animals in get 40 degrees. So they could only be exposed to cold from the time the plane was unloaded until the time they were picked up at the airport. Could the snakes have been dead prior to shipping??? I doubt Mardi Snipes would be a party to that kind of crap. Just my 2cents
F. Stano

Old 12-18-2003, 12:57 AM   #28
ElapsMan
Sorry,

(forgot to post full name)

Jerry F. Stano

Old 12-18-2003, 01:33 AM   #29
oreganus
Lightbulb I can answer for some of the questions...

I emailed Mardi, but he told me he is out of town until thursday a couple of weeks ago, so I will know shortly if he did pack them. I personally don't think that Mardi would have done a job like this, but I cannot say for sure until I talk to mardi when he gets back. Mardi is also shipping another snake to me, so I don't see how if he packed the animals and shipped them, he would not have thrown in that animal also. If he did pack and ship these snakes, I cannot see him holding out on some of the snakes that were suppose to be there, I would say that more than likely he only shipped what Kenneth gave him to ship. Which, in that event could explain how he would have not known what was suppose to be there since it wasn't his deal. I will have to post after I hear back and can confirm if Mardi did infact ship the snakes. Here is a pic of the boxes used.
Kevin Smith
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2003, 01:38 AM   #30
oreganus
Lightbulb I forgot to discuss...

on the cold issue. I think it really depends on the type of snake involved. All the snakes were very cold, but the mambas were the only ones that perished. Could it be possible that mambas are a little more delicate as far as cold tempratures? Or maybe it could be because they have less body mass compared to the other snakes? Not sure, but a friend and I were discussing that thought.
Kevin Smith

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!