10 clutches With Only ONE Breeding...Why Won't She Stop??!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-10-2012, 02:10 PM   #1
Lizardman87
10 clutches With Only ONE Breeding...Why Won't She Stop??!!

Alright so this is beginning to trip me out. My male mated to my female only once and that is guaranteed. This happened back in February. He has never been with her any other time. She laid her first clutch March 2nd. Now here we are in October and she just got done laying her 10th clutch on the 3rd or 4th of this month. I was sort of freaking out at first when she laid more than 3 with this being my first time and all, but now I am really freaking out because once again she is now up to her 10th. I have spent endless hours doing research and I have never heard of more than 9 clutches from a successful mating and now she has surpassed that. The eggs are no longer coming out fertile, those stopped by like the 7th clutch. But she still keeps laying. I keep power feeding her just as you are supposed to, but next thing you know a month later she is digging again and has to lay. Is something wrong with her? Is she going to die because of this? Although I am feeding her well, she slowly keeps losing a little more weight each time, and it is really worrying me. I am a good parent I swear I take great care of my animals well, and I am absolutely positive that my male only hooked up with her once. I am not the kind of guy that overbreeds or anything I just do not know what is going on with my female and would greatly appreciate any help or knowledge that anyone might be willing to share. Thanks for taking the time to read my post. Hope to hear from you guys.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:00 PM   #2
Cache Reptiles
At this point, just let nature take its' course. There's nothing that you can do to stop her from laying more eggs- so keep feeding her as much as she'll eat and make sure that she's staying hydrated. As long as she's still eating well, she should be fine. Do you have any current pictures of her?

I would recommend giving her next year off from breeding as well- laying that many clutches in a row (even if the past few haven't been fertile) will definitely take its toll on her.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:12 PM   #3
Lizardman87
I do not have any recent pics of her but will take some here later today or tomorrow when I have a camera available and upload the pics asap. I have been feeding her the same providing her water and everything. She just looks like she is slowly deteriorating little by little and I dont want to lose her, but I guess I have no choice and have to wait and see what happens. She started out at over 350 grams in March and now is down to like 250-260 grams. I know they are going to lose weight with laying but these weights are taken about a month after the last lay. Yeah I dont think I will be breeding her this next year because I just want to put weight back on her granted she stops laying and I dont lose her. Have you ever heard of more than 9 clutches in your experiences? I have searched endlessly and have never heard of more than 8-9 clutches. Thank you for your help I greatly appreciate it. And I will post pics of her soon.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:34 PM   #4
jmp745
Can she still see the male? I mean are they in the same room with cages facing each other? Even from across the room, I've read people say that can trigger the infertile clutches.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:36 PM   #5
Bill T
We have one that laid 8 last year. What we did to stop her was to change her light time and lowered her temps.This year she wont even look at a male. Her egg counts where in the 30s

Old 10-12-2012, 12:24 PM   #6
Lizardman87
I will have to try both of those. As far as seeing the males she was only able to see them within the past month. Before that I made sure to keep her out of sight from the males because she would always be bowing to them and I felt bad so I blocked her from any of the males being able to see her. She still just kept on laying. Her original clutches were in the high 20's, most at 27-29, but the past 3 have been below 20 with the most recent being 15. There are so few I am unable to tell whether she is gravid until she begins digging again. Right now I am just starting to cool the temps since we are having the cooler weather come in finally. It was too hot before for me to be able to do that. The room I stay in is not insulated so I was not even having to really use a heat light in my room because of the fact that the room was really hot. Their tanks temps were running about 85-90 on the cool side and a little over 100 where the uvb light was over the tank. It was just so hot that I would have fried them putting a heat light on them, so there was definitely no way for me to get the temps lowered any sooner than now. Thank you for your input jmp745 and Bill T I will definitely keep those in factor and try it out. Anything is worth a shot. I greatly appreciate your help/input. I will keep posted and get some pics of her put up later today. Thanks again

Old 10-12-2012, 12:34 PM   #7
Cache Reptiles
Her losing 100 grams is understandable after that many clutches. Once she stops laying, she should be able to quickly put it back on seeing as she won't be using all of the nutrition she's receiving towards producing more eggs.

Personally, the largest number of clutches I've seen in a row was 7. It was from a large female that produced infertiles every year that she wasn't bred up until she got to be 9-10 years old.

If she hasn't stopped at 10 on her own, lowering her temps and shortening her light cycle as Bill stated should tell her body to stop producing eggs.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!