Info on African Grey Parrots - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Birds > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Birds.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:58 PM   #1
RoadHouse of Retics
Info on African Grey Parrots

My wife has wanted one for years. I have no experience with parrots and she has little in her younger years. I was wondering if they were a decent parrot to keep and maybe some overall info would be great.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:35 PM   #2
mmdragons
They are great birds. They tend to prefer one person though. I work at a rescue and with amazons and greys its only certian people or certian sexes. African greys are amazing mimicers and are some of the best talkers and if you work with them they can say almost anything. Just give them pleanty to play with and plenty of love and attention and he/she wont develope the picking and aggresive behaviors. See these behaviors alot in rescues because people dont understand the commitment of a parrot. I hope you get one, there fantastic birds!

Old 10-15-2011, 09:27 PM   #3
Lucille
What Max said. I'd like to add just from a health standpoint, that they are dust feather birds. Some birds like greys and cockatoos have some feathers that are made to disintegrate into dust, and the dust from these feathers helps the bird groom itself.
But the dust produced, which can be a surprising amount, can also be a source of allergens to those allergic, and can be troubling for those with asthma.
Other birds such as amazons do not have these dust feathers and groom themselves from oil glands.
Just something to keep in mind if there are allergies or asthmatics in the family.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:18 PM   #4
JordanAng420
They are also VERY much predisposed to calcium deficiencies. They must be fed with a proper pelleted diet, absolutely NO seed, and they must be supplemented with the proper vitamins and minerals...

I do agree with the previous post that mentioned that they tend to become quite devoted to one person in particular. I have a friend who owns a grey that will chase her husband around the house any time she out of her cage. She becomes psychotic and she literally attacks him. (He runs away screaming like a baby...it's absolutely hysterical).

Old 10-16-2011, 12:48 PM   #5
RoadHouse of Retics
Thanks everybody for the good responses.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:32 AM   #6
Mikkwa
I'm a bit late on responding on this, but wanted to tell you that like a creatures every bird is different. Back in the mid 90s I bought my mother a Timneh African Grey which was a 3 yr. old already. He could talk a blue streak & he adjusted very well to the change.

A year after my Mom had him she grew tired of taking care of him, so he came to live with me. I already had 2 Amazons, and a Solomon Island Eclectus male. Niko fit right in & loved not only me, but my husband & teenage son as well. So, some can become family birds.

I kept all 4 in their own room on open perches & they all got along very well together. The room had a hail screen door I built for it so they could see us when they were in there & it was right off the computer room where my husband & son literally spent all their time.

Parrots don't have to be with you every minute of the day (tho' they'd like to), but they do like to be able to see you when your home. Good luck with your African Grey if you get one. Hand fed babies are usually the quickest to adjust, but older 2nd hand birds can be just as rewarding!

Old 12-05-2011, 02:13 AM   #7
RoadHouse of Retics
Thanks I appreciate your response ,it doesn't matter if its late. More info the better. I have been looking around locally but haven't found a baby yet. I'm sure I will come across one sooner or later.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:31 AM   #8
Mikkwa
I am currently waiting for my baby Catalina macaw, a hybrid between a blue & gold and a scarlet macaw to be able to come home. I was looking for a green wing when I fell in love with the Catalina's coloring. He should be weaned sometime in Jan. I couldn't buy locally since no one in my area raises macaws, but I did find one within the state.

In my state the breeder is still over 500 miles from me, but she is willing to meet me in San Antonio which will shorten my trip to 375 miles. I haven't had parrots in my life since 2000 due to my husband's career change when he started driving an 18 wheeler otr & my poodles & I went with him for 5 yrs.

In the last 3 yrs. I have collected my "zoo" back starting with my snakes & now I am ready for a parrot in my life again. Hope you find your baby, there's one out there waiting for you.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:19 AM   #9
Shadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadHouse of Retics View Post
Thanks I appreciate your response ,it doesn't matter if its late. More info the better. I have been looking around locally but haven't found a baby yet. I'm sure I will come across one sooner or later.
How far are you willing to travel? I can personally recommend a breeder near Pittsburgh (if she's still breeding), that raises some wonderful baby greys. I used to go help socialize babies to all sorts of different things, and it was so tough not to stuff one in my pocket and sneak out.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:46 PM   #10
RoadHouse of Retics
I would be willing to drive a few hours. Pittsburgh is only 4 hours from me. I would definitely make the trip out there if she is still in business.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!