My Broadhead skinks are breeding - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Skinks & Tegus Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-11-2008, 11:24 PM   #1
varnyard
My Broadhead skinks are breeding

My Broadheads are breeding, it won't be long and eggs will be on the way!! :woot

Old 02-12-2008, 03:57 AM   #2
KelliH
One of my favorite skinks, I love those. Good luck and I hope you get fertile eggs, don't see too many captive breedings.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:05 AM   #3
varnyard
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelliH
One of my favorite skinks, I love those. Good luck and I hope you get fertile eggs, don't see too many captive breedings.
Thanks Kelli!!

I like them too, they are awesome animals. I have had this pair about a year now, I was planning on letting the babies go in my flower beds. But there are just way too many stray cats around here. There are not too many in our area, and it is pretty rare to find them. I think the cats just about killed most of them here. Years ago I would find several while herping, but they are getting rare to find, even in the woods.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:39 AM   #4
Seamus Haley
Quote:
Originally Posted by varnyard
Thanks Kelli!!

I like them too, they are awesome animals. I have had this pair about a year now, I was planning on letting the babies go in my flower beds. But there are just way too many stray cats around here. There are not too many in our area, and it is pretty rare to find them. I think the cats just about killed most of them here. Years ago I would find several while herping, but they are getting rare to find, even in the woods.
Ever go raking?

I've got a mixed opinion of it and wouldn't suggest it to many people, but you are obviously one who'd be able to do it appropriately and with the kind of approach needed to do it responsibly.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:05 PM   #5
varnyard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus Haley
Ever go raking?

I've got a mixed opinion of it and wouldn't suggest it to many people, but you are obviously one who'd be able to do it appropriately and with the kind of approach needed to do it responsibly.
I have not, I have dug in the leaves, but never used a rake. We find a good many little brown skinks and salamanders like that.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:08 PM   #6
Seamus Haley
Quote:
Originally Posted by varnyard
I have not, I have dug in the leaves, but never used a rake. We find a good many little brown skinks and salamanders like that.
Takes a very very light touch to do it safely anyway; not to say you couldn't but that you might find it to be more trouble than it's worth. I've seen a couple people who didn't quite grasp what they were doing start tearing through leaf detritus like they were attempting lawn care- destroying all shape and texture of the soil beneath the leaves as they went and seemingly oblivious to the notion that the ground cover should be put back in the closest possible manner to the way it was found. You, as an individual, have got enough of a grasp of the idea of microhabitat to get away with it but it's definitely not for everyone and shouldn't be attempted by most.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:47 PM   #7
varnyard
Yea, can understand that and see how people can not leave the woods like they found them. I have even built debris piles for the reptiles here, so that they can have a place to go in case of danger. It is very rare that I collect anything to keep; most of what I take is the pictures.

Old 11-15-2019, 12:28 AM   #8
cerdeira
Any babies for sale? Would love to purchase a couple

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!