ID help please - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-30-2009, 08:30 PM   #1
R&TB
ID help please

This snake was part of a three snake deal. The guy I got it from did not know much about it. Sorry for the bad pics, he/she is a little flighty and does not hold still long.
I've talked to a couple people and recieved a couple different names for what he/she is. I was told he/she is a black tail cribos, a south american indigo, and a south american corn snake. I've found some info online but no site really seems to go into detail. Any information would be great or any info for a site to read up more on the species would also be great.
Thanks
Rob

Old 03-31-2009, 07:48 AM   #2
hhmoore
black tail cribo - yes
South American indigo - called that by some, but I believe Central American indigo is more widely used and more accurate (unless I am mistaken on their range)...you may also see them called black tailed indigos
South American corn snake - never heard of that one....could be a "local name"? (like eastern milk snakes being called spotted adders)

Old 03-31-2009, 08:23 AM   #3
R&TB
Thanks for the reply. So a black tail cribo and the indigo are really the same species just a different name. Its a good looking snake and I'm glad that I finally know what it really is lol.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:35 AM   #4
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by R&TB View Post
So a black tail cribo and the indigo are really the same species just a different name.
Cribos and indigos are the same genus (Drymarchon), but I'm not sure of the current taxonomy. I believe that they all used to be considered different subspecies of Drymarchon corais - with the black tail cribo being melanurus, and the eastern indigo being couperi . I'm fairly certain, though, that there were some efforts to separate the group into different species. I don't work with the group, so I haven't paid attention to the status.

I had the pleasure of keeping a few cribos short term (baby sitting, if you will) about 12 yrs ago - great animals. Enjoy!

Old 03-31-2009, 09:52 AM   #5
R&TB
Thanks again Harold. I meant to say black tail cribos and the south america or central american indigo were the same.
She is going to need a little work as her previous owner did not handle her but I'm always up for a challenge. She has had several chances to tag me but never took a shot so it might not be that hard. I'll find out hopefully not the hard way lol.
Thanks
Rob

Old 03-31-2009, 04:59 PM   #6
JSI11
Drymarchon corais melanurus, I have a trio they are amazing snakes to keep.

Jeremy

Old 03-31-2009, 05:02 PM   #7
JSI11
I should add these are sometimes called Central American Cribos. In South America you'll find the Yellow Taile Cribo Drymarchon corais corais

Jeremy

Old 08-19-2009, 10:26 PM   #8
Pick9811
Can't see the tail very well... but you may want to look on www.indigosforever.com. They specialize in "Dry's" or everything of the Drymarcharon genus (of which this snake is DEFINITELY a member). He's certainly either a black tail as mentioned above, or a unicolor. Do you still have this snake?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!