Adult boa off her feed for a few months... - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-06-2017, 05:45 PM   #11
JCCS
One good size rats every month or so is fine for an adult female boa unless you're trying to breed her.

Old 01-06-2017, 09:36 PM   #12
Helenthereef
I would suggest that you get a scale and start weighing her if you don't already. It's easy to project weight loss onto a snake if you are concerned.

I think it's important to know if she is actually losing weight or has simply settled into smaller maintenance needs as she gets older.

Old 01-07-2017, 09:59 AM   #13
Mister Internet
I don't think she's losing weight, per se... it's just that eating at the "maintenance" level she is, she's simply not able to re-gain the weight she lost over the last 2-3 years when she decided to go off feed. I'm not worried about breeding or making her "fat", I just want to get a few pounds back on her so she looks normal again. I have to assume that her current condition, while she seems ok, is not ideal and could be taxing her organs unnecessarily... if not, then I guess I'll quit worrying. She just doesn't look that great, spine is clearly visible and skin is quite folded when she undulates around the cage...

I'm thinking at this point that I may need to just find much larger prey items and go that route for 6 months or so....

Old 01-07-2017, 12:25 PM   #14
bcr229
If you do order rabbits don't get a bunch at once if she's been on rats her whole life. Not all snakes will switch to them immediately. I converted an adult female retic (who was putting back four jumbo rats per meal instead of one four-pound rabbit) and one of my adult female BCI's in the past few months. I'm still working on my adult female dumerils boa and an adult male boa.

If your boa will take rabbit that would be great since rabbits pack more calories into a smaller volume as they have less fat, more muscle, and bigger bones than rats do.

Old 01-08-2017, 01:33 PM   #15
Mister Internet
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
If you do order rabbits don't get a bunch at once if she's been on rats her whole life. Not all snakes will switch to them immediately. I converted an adult female retic (who was putting back four jumbo rats per meal instead of one four-pound rabbit) and one of my adult female BCI's in the past few months. I'm still working on my adult female dumerils boa and an adult male boa.

If your boa will take rabbit that would be great since rabbits pack more calories into a smaller volume as they have less fat, more muscle, and bigger bones than rats do.
Thanks for the help, I will definitely keep that in mind!

Old 01-20-2017, 01:08 AM   #16
suskie1992
Just letting you know MR internet i have a 2009 male kahl iv'e had for 6 -7 years around 6 3/4 feet ~12 lbs i had an issue where he was going off feed or only ate once a month and turned into a finicky eater would not eat off tongs. He did this around 2 years ago and for about 6-7 months or so after his fasting he did turn back to normal and didn't lose any noticeable weight. I just came to the conclusion that i was feeding him not to much but enough were he just was storing to much muscle/body mass and was just trying to fix the problem himself by not eating and wasn't getting enough exercise in his 4x2x2 cage not a small cage but nothing massive.

Also consider the age of your boa and weight

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!