Unknown spider identity - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Insects and Arachnids > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Insects and Arachnids.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:09 AM   #1
IMAJACOBIAN
Unknown spider identity

I live in Northern Ky and just last night found this spider in my front yard. I have never seen anything this large.

Does anybody know what it is? I know nothing about spiders and have treated it as if it were venomous just as a precaution since I have no knowledge of it. When I approached it, it lifted it's front legs and got very defensive, though never jumped.

I know my pics aren't very good, but he was moving around and I had a real hard time with him. I can try to get better pics again if needed. I do not see an hour glass shape of any type on his body and he is aprox. 2" diameter incl legs and about 3/4" body length. Very bright yellow and pretty.

Thanks,

Jacob

Old 10-24-2012, 08:26 AM   #2
IMAJACOBIAN
I think I found it.

http://www.uky.edu/Ag/CritterFiles/c...rb.htm#argiope

It also has the grey-ish head just like the pictured at that link. Anyone else agree/disagree on the identity?

Old 10-24-2012, 12:08 PM   #3
Shadera
Agree. Orb weavers are fairly common spiders. Very pretty, too.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:17 PM   #4
IMAJACOBIAN
The pics don't do it justice. She(assume by size) is huge and very bright. I've just never seen one before.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:06 PM   #5
IMAJACOBIAN
Do they adjust to captivity pretty well? If I were to keep it, what kind of setup can I keep it in? I assume crickets would work for it? Can a plastic container contain them without escape? Do they breed in captivity if I found more of them? How do I tell a male from a female other than size? Lots of questions and I know nothing about spiders, but she is very pretty. I'm going to do a little digging online as well.

Thanks,

Jacob

Old 11-24-2012, 06:31 PM   #6
JColt
They do best with 2x4 with screening on both sides.

They have to be able to make a large web. I had one a couple years ago. I made it 4 foot by 3 foot and she webbed the entire thing.

Old 11-25-2012, 04:01 PM   #7
IMAJACOBIAN
Thats a great schematic to know how to set it up. I did end up releasing it since I don't know much about spiders, but would like to work with them in the future.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!