T-Rex Active UV Heat bulbs - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Consumer Reports

Notices

Consumer Reports Looking for, or want to leave feedback about a product? This is the place for that sort of info!

Old 06-27-2003, 03:59 AM   #1
SPJ
Question T-Rex Active UV Heat bulbs

Please post your experiences with this bulb. I would really appreciate any feedback on it. Thanks.

Old 02-17-2004, 11:18 PM   #2
AmbanjaBlue
As for the T-Rex brand, I have had very good luck with that brand of Mercury Vapor bulbs. I wish I could say the same about the Zoo-Med brand of bulbs that are similiar. I have only had 1 out of 7 T-Rex bulbs that had to be sent back in for a replacement. As far as the Zoo-Med bulbs, I had to send back all 8 bulbs within 3 months time. Also, with Zoo-Med, if you want to send your bulbs in, be prepared to have to explain yourself very well, because they will try and put the blame on you for your bulbs. All of my bulbs sit flat and in a 15" dome on screen Chameleon cage.

Ambanja Blue

Old 02-18-2004, 12:15 AM   #3
sschind
My experience was just the opposite. 3 of the 4 t-rex bulbs I have sold went bad in a few months but none of the zoomed ones have been returned. I don't know how long ago you had the Zoomed ones but I have been told that they redesigned them about a year ago and worked out a few bugs.

Steve Schindler

Old 02-21-2004, 11:46 AM   #4
Pennebaker
I was told that t-rex has a new design to make them more stable. I dont know if it is out yet or not. All of the MV bulbs are touchy when it comes to burning out due to the technology. As long as it is easy to get a replacement I would still recommend them. My favorites are the active uvheat bulbs www.uvheat.com . I have a 3 year old one that is still working and still puts out decent uvb if you can believe it (we have a uvb meter). They seem to be more stable. The t-rex bulbs are my second choice and are a little easier to get.
Dana

Old 02-21-2004, 03:42 PM   #5
AmbanjaBlue
Quote:
Originally posted by Pennebaker
I was told that t-rex has a new design to make them more stable. I dont know if it is out yet or not. All of the MV bulbs are touchy when it comes to burning out due to the technology. As long as it is easy to get a replacement I would still recommend them. My favorites are the active uvheat bulbs www.uvheat.com . I have a 3 year old one that is still working and still puts out decent uvb if you can believe it (we have a uvb meter). They seem to be more stable. The t-rex bulbs are my second choice and are a little easier to get.
Dana

Actually UV Heat has a wonderful new bulb out. It is called the "Super 60". The really nice thing about this bulb is, it will last quite awhile, due to the fact IT DOES NOT HAVE A FILAMENT. The only downfall is, when you first buy one, you have to buy the bulb with a ballast. They are not self ballasted like the other companies bulbs, which is what I think is what goes wrong with the other bulbs. But it is only a $65 investment up front, and the rest of the bulbs are only $45. Also you can't use it as a heat bulb either. But the new Halogens, are pretty nice heat producers.

Ambanja

Old 09-17-2006, 07:10 PM   #6
Aprylla
New post on an old thread

Last week I saw that an online reptile supply store had their T-Rex Mercury Vapor Bulbs on sale as cheap as I have ever seen them anywhere. I own iguanas and recently aquired some bearded dragons that were not in the best of health. I have been hearing raving reviews and very little negative about these bulbs. So seeing they were on sale, I bought 3 bulbs and 3 fixtures for them. I figured I would give them a try.

My bearded dragons, although their health has improved a lot since I got them (got rid of the parasites, got them eating ok, and had a regular UVB bulb on them) they have not looked as good as I thought they should by now and were not as active as I would like. This is the main reason I decided on the T-Rex bulbs.

Friday afternoon I received my bulbs and fixtures. I already had things ready to put on on my bearded dragon enclosure. I put one on them immediately. I then put a huge pile of greens on their food bowl. I came back about 2 hours later just to check the temp on the enclosure to make sure things were ok. Normally the beardies take several hours (or all day) to even eat about 1/2 of their greens. Much to my suprise, all of the greens were gone. The beardies were actively moving about their enclosure. Their colors even looked a little different to me.

I have now been using the bulbs for 3 days. The lizards I put them on seem to be more active, eating more, and all of them have better color. The beardies colors have come out dramatically, they don't even look like the same lizards I had 3 days ago!

I am totally amazed at the difference that just 3 days has made with using these bulbs. Based on my experience thusfar, I would definitely recommend them to anyone with bearded dragons, iguanas, etc.

These bulbs were worth every penny I paid for them and then some. I am thoroughly impressed!

Old 09-19-2006, 05:00 AM   #7
clarinet45
I have tried pretty much every bulb out there for my beardies and other things. I also got the Trex bulbs on sale, They are the best of the 'retail' bulbs out there. Although I do hope to switch everyone over to MegaRay bulbs next year. I am just so sick of tube lights and these are so easy to use and worth every penny if you care for your animal's health.

The UV from these are very intense and I do suggest you burn them in and test the temps for at least a day before putting animals under it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!