help with bedding - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-28-2004, 08:52 PM   #1
dekonn71
help with bedding

i want to change my bedding inthe snakes tanks an the place i get my bedding from is no longer open i want to know could i use pine bark nugget chips the chips i have now are like the pine bark nuggets i see all over if i cant what could use that will look the same

Old 04-29-2004, 12:52 AM   #2
robin d.
a BIG no, on the pine shaving it and cedar can be toxic to reptiles.... another option could be newspaper,cypress mulch or aspen. no cedar or fine

Old 05-10-2004, 08:43 AM   #3
Lucille
The oils from cedar have been show in labaratory studies to alter body chemistries' in fact, mice used for research that is funded by Federal grants are not permitted to be kept on cedar. However, white pine is ok; I would not use it unless you remove your critters to feed because of the danger of ingestion and subsequent impaction.

Old 05-10-2004, 11:59 PM   #4
willykink
different options for substrate

newspaper works for me and has for about 7 years now...its cheap, plentiful, and easy cleanup is a huge bonus

Old 05-14-2004, 10:56 PM   #5
aikidophreak
pine

NO NO Pine is toxic to reptiles. So is cedar Do not use it will kill your herp, I know a fried personally that used pine on a new ball python. it was healthy and doing fine when he got it. but the pine killed the snake in a bit more than a month. A hard lesson lerned.

Old 05-15-2004, 12:57 PM   #6
Randy T.
As mentioned above white pine can be used. I personally have used an aspen and white pine mix for some of my reptiles without a single incident. BUT Cedar is a big absolute no way. In my opinion it is best to use simple and cheap newspaper or cage liners. (that way it is easy to clean up, and fairly cheap to get) Another bonus to not using a chip form of bedding is that some petshops that sell the chip bedding can contaminate the bedding with mites and thus introduce mites into your collection without you knowing until it is too late. (also newspaper is easier to treat mites on, and easier to track shedding and pooping)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!