Where are they? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-20-2004, 09:32 PM   #1
Lucille
Question Where are they?

I was just thinking (I have an active imagination about where all the boas are? I do not know of any of my local acquaintances who have a large boa.
Boas supposedly have large clutches of young and you see boas for sale around here constantly, where are they? I know the people on this forum must have multiple animals but that could not possibly account for all the little pet shop boas, the ones sold here, the ones sold at reptile fairs, and all of them must grow up sooner or later? I very rarely hear of a snake death, boas are fairly sturdy.
Could it be:
1) boas are not 'polite talk' like kitties or dogs so the person you might be chatting with at work might very well have a room full of vision cages with 10 foot boas in them?
2) Us ordinary humans are only aware of streets and subways and so on, there is also in existence but unknown to any but the most dedicated snake lovers, travelways built underground for snakes and a whole subculture that surrounds them?
or...
You tell me? Where are they?

Old 05-20-2004, 11:24 PM   #2
willykink
well, out of the few people i really call friends and just about all my family that i know of and keep in contact with, only a good friend of mine in ny and my girlfriend that i live with are into snakes of any kind...everyone else ive tried to convince to take one of my baby boas off my hands seem to have snake phobias

so like you, where are they all being kept??

Old 05-21-2004, 07:21 AM   #3
jenn_jeffery
I have one boa, one python, and one kingsnake. Very few people know I have these as they tend to label me a 'freak' or a 'weirdo'. Personally, I don't care for such labels. Heck, some of my own family doesn't even know I have them--though I will inform them should they ever decide to come visit. I've found a lot of people with snake/reptile phobia tend to transfer that phobia or include the owner in that phobia, so I just don't mention it.

Old 05-21-2004, 12:06 PM   #4
Ed Lilley
Most of the boas bought in pet stores die... You don't hear about them because folks don't want to say " I had a boa... it died because I am an idiot" LOL... There are tons of people with boas and pythons. I get calls from local people all of the time, " UHH hey I herd you have alot of snakes, I got this boa I can't keep it any more" I go take the boas/pythons and give them to folks who have a clue.

There is a snake guy/girl or 2 in just about every town in the US... Thats a lot of people. None of those people I know have 1 snake they all have a grip of snakes. Could you have just 1?

Old 05-21-2004, 04:49 PM   #5
Glenn Bartley
In my local herp society at least a couple to a few people keep Boa Constrictors. I see others at a local herp expo often. Heck we even have one guy who keeps burms...

Old 05-23-2004, 01:19 AM   #6
jenn
Besides two other people in my herp society i don't know anyone who owns boas in my little hicksville town. But then again all of us who own any kind of reps in this town are concidered "freaks" Thats how closed minded people are here.

Old 05-24-2004, 05:10 AM   #7
AZ Dragoon
They die

I think Ed Lilley's post hit it on the head. The pet store boas usually die in a relatively short time for whatever reason. I have heard of a couple of people even placing their boas or other snakes in a freezer while on vacation thinking they would be in hibernation while they were away on vacation. Believe it or not, I even heard that recommended on a late night radio talk show by a caller and the ignorant host even agreed with her! He responded that it "makes perfect sense since reptiles hibernate". Do you think such people would ever admit they once owned a boa?

Kevin

Old 05-24-2004, 11:42 PM   #8
Glenn Bartley
Now had they been North American Wood Frogs they might have done ok in the freezer. Man those poor boas....

Old 05-25-2004, 04:41 AM   #9
willykink
Talking can anyone have just one??

i think reptiles and snakes in particular are like tattoos and potato chips, you can never have just one, theyre just to beautiful in my opinion

Old 05-25-2004, 06:16 AM   #10
Lucille
I agree on the chips (I love Wavy Lays) and the snakes (I have several) but there must be something wrong with me, I have held the line at one tattoo......

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!