Question about my Quizno - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-13-2004, 01:15 PM   #1
LCReptiles
Question about my Quizno

Okay, first off, I keep my guy in a 90 gallon tank. He has a fogger that "rains" for him twice a day. He has live foilage in the form of a tree and ivy that grows on the ground (wherever he doesn't romp). He has climping bamboo that criss crosses the tank and his own swimming hole equipped with fish for him to watch. The hole has a fountain that spits water as well. I heat during the day with a ceramic heat emitter, and light with 2 36" UV FLO bulbs. He has 1 red nocturnal bulb for viewing at night. My questions are:

What ambient air temp should I be striving for during the day. Right now I keep him around 85 degrees.

Where do you guys stand on feeding him in his cage? I rescued this guy from a home where he was neglected. He is eating regularly, but I feel like the move to his feeding tank un-nerves him a bit. He feeds on prekilled rats, but sometimes it takes him almost 2 hours before he's comfortable enough to eat. He is currently about 6' long and 14 lbs.

There is also a female at a pet store near my house with an 8 foot girl.. I was considering pairing them up, but would it be possible for them to cohabitate?? How much room would they need?

Thanks!

Old 06-13-2004, 06:45 PM   #2
BoaMan Jon
First of all, boas are nocturnal so the UV bulbs are doing no good, but giving him a sunburn.

The hot side of the cage should be 88 degrees on the floor and NO hotter. The cool side should be 77-80 on the floor. Humidity should be higher than 50%. I like to keep them 55-65% and higher during shed time.

Night drop should be about 8 degrees.

I never feed in the cage and always feed f/t. I have a large Rubbermaid for feeding in. This keeps the snake from associating things coming into the cage as food and cuts the risk of impaction from substrate.

Cohabitation of reptiles isn't a good idea. They are not social animals. This will only cause stress (unless you keep denning rattlers. lol ) You'll have trouble knowing each's natural cycles and if you do a fecal you'll not know who it came from, so both animals will need to be treated. If you put two adult boas together you will have mating snakes. You're not at a point to be doing any breeding, so don't try that.

Old 06-14-2004, 06:17 PM   #3
Randy T.
I thought I would add a different point of view on a couple of the topics..

As far as the hot spot in the enclosure.. You can have a hotspot in the low 90s (between 90-94) without any problems. (some people such as Ihle keep a constant 105 belly heat temp in the hotspot, and I think he knows what he is doing.)

Also you do not need a night time drop usually the temp drop in the house/building due to the sun going down will provide an appropriate temperature change.

Also I always feed in the enclosure (accept during breeding season, then I remove the male and feed him seperately)
Feeding in the enclosure has far more benefit then feeding out of the enclosure. 1: it does not cause any undue stress to the animal 2: it is easier to lay newspaper sheets down and place a thawed feeder on the paper and walk out of the room then to snake hook out the animal, place him/her in a tub drop in feeder, leave alone for an hour or so then replacing said now in feeding mode snake to enclosure (which now has a full belly and can cause damage if handled improperly) Also the "the snake will build a feeding response to opening the enclosure" is complete and total BS! unless the keeper has horrible husbandry practices and rarely cleans the enclosure (spot cleaning averages at a minimum 1 time a week) and changing the water (which should be done atleast every other day) etc...

Good luck with your new snake.
Later

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!