66% het question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-10-2016, 05:05 AM   #1
Ballguy8771
66% het question

I'm relatively new to breeding herps. I'm starting out with few recessives I recently purchesed a 66% het and have it's recessive gene visual as it's mate. I'm 99% sure it has the gene in it. Does anyone know if I breed them could it produce a visual?

Other question I had was if it won't produce a visual should I buy another 66% het? It shows on WOB and MM that u can get the visual with 2 66% hets but can't get visual from 66% het to a visual. I'm very confused about that.

If anyone would help that would be very much appreciated and any pointers would help too! Don't know any breeders and like I said I'm coming into this as a newbie

Old 06-10-2016, 05:34 AM   #2
hhmoore
Discussion topics are not appropriate threads for the classifieds.
I'll move this to the discussion forum.

Old 06-10-2016, 05:43 AM   #3
hhmoore
When dealing with possible hets, the number reflects a statistical likelihood of that embryo carrying the trait....but the bottom line is that they are either hets,or they aren't. If your 66%er isn't a het; you won't get visuals, even when breeding it to a visual. If it is a het, you should (whether you actually do, or not, depends on the number of viable eggs....and luck of the draw.

Old 06-10-2016, 03:24 PM   #4
Ballguy8771
Thanks I'm new to this forum so didn't know I will try it and see what happens

Old 06-10-2016, 04:17 PM   #5
hhmoore
Now that I'm not dealing with my tablet, I can give a more detailed explanation.
As you probably realize, simple recessive traits are shown when offspring receive the genetic material for that trait from both parents. It is easiest to think of this in terms of gene pairs...and I'll use albinism as a convenient example. Each parent provides half of the genetic information, (think: half of a gene pair), and a visual albino has the full pair (a,a). It doesn't matter which half it gives to a given offspring, it is giving the ability to produce an albino (because both halves are albino, which is what makes it visual)
Pairing a visual albino with a normal (x,x) - no offspring will get both halves of the albino gene pair, because the one parent doesnt have it to give....but all of the babies will get one half (from the visual parent); so they are all hets. So a visual bred to a normal produces no albinos, but all of the babies will be heterozygous for albinism. These can be simply called het albino, but some choose to use the terminology "100% het".

Using the letter "coding" shown above, a het would be (a,x) - the a being the half that carries the albino gene, and the x being the half that doesn't.
Now, if a visual (a,a) is paired with a het, the het will provide either the "a" or the "x" to each offspring. Since we have established that the visual will always give an "a", that means that the offspring will either end up as (a,a) or (a,x)....so visual or het. Pretty simple at this point, right?

So, were do the percentages come from?
If you pair two hets (a,x) and (a,x), each parent will give half of their pair to each offspring. So, in this case, each parent will provide either an "a" or an "x". That means each offspring has the chance of being (a,a), (a,x), (x,a), or (x,x). For our purposes, (a,x) is the same as (x,a)...both have half of the gene pair needed for albinism - in other words, they're hets. Looking at those combinations, we have 1 visual, 2 hets, and 1 normal. We can easily identify the albino, so we don't have to consider that one. Of the other 3 possibilities, 2 are hets. So each nonvisual baby has a 2 out of 3 chance of being a het. 2 out of 3 is 2/3 is 66%. When breeding het to het, the non-visual offspring are called 66% het. (Remember, though, in reality the baby is either het, or it isn't...it's just that we don't know by looking at it; so the number is just a way of expressing the likelihood). With a 66% het, the odds are pretty good (2 out of 3) that the offspring carries the trait.

Breeding a het to a normal though, would give (a,x), (a,x), (x,x), or (x,x). There are no visuals, and a baby has a 2 in 4 (50%) chance of receiving the albino trait. Those are the 50% hets (again, each baby is or isn't...we just don't known which until "proven").

If you breed a 66% or 50% het baby to a visual and get visual babies, you can drop the % designation because they have been proven het for the trait.

Old 06-10-2016, 06:03 PM   #6
Ballguy8771
Oh I see know, can I ask u something. I've got female clowns and het male clowns. I know they are het clowns cus I bought them from a trustworthy breeder and plus gave me genetics gueritety. The 66% het clown I'm referring to is a pastel leopard 66% het clown 50% het pied. If 6 eggs came from that clutch then that means 4 out of the 6 have the clown gene in their dna?

My pastel leopard has a stripe almost unbroken other pastel leopard don't have that stripe. Or should I say most don't that why say 99% chance.

I really appreciate all ur help, if/when they are breeding size I'm sure I'll post something else about breeding. I just hope people don't hate me for stuff be cus I have very limited space

Old 06-10-2016, 07:03 PM   #7
blbballs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballguy8771 View Post
Oh I see know, can I ask u something. I've got female clowns and het male clowns. I know they are het clowns cus I bought them from a trustworthy breeder and plus gave me genetics gueritety. The 66% het clown I'm referring to is a pastel leopard 66% het clown 50% het pied. If 6 eggs came from that clutch then that means 4 out of the 6 have the clown gene in their dna?

My pastel leopard has a stripe almost unbroken other pastel leopard don't have that stripe. Or should I say most don't that why say 99% chance.

I really appreciate all ur help, if/when they are breeding size I'm sure I'll post something else about breeding. I just hope people don't hate me for stuff be cus I have very limited space
No. A 66% het is either het or not. It is just that given the parental pairing of het to het a genetic guarantee of 'hetness' cannot be given. What can be given is that in the long term, when a het to het pairing has occurred, the non visual babies have a 66% chance of carrying the gene. On average, a visual to het breeding will produce 50% visual babies and 50% babies that are 100% het. A 100% het does not produce 100% visual babies. Only visual to visual produces 100% visual babies.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:54 PM   #8
Ballguy8771
So I might not have a het clown but then I also could have a het clown. That is my understanding from all this. The only way to tell is to breed him to a clown or 100% clown and see what there offspring are. I got him for a steal if it's a het clown but if not I payed 3 times the price of a leopard. Anyway it goes I like the ball and I like my other snake I know is het clown. Thanks for clearing the air

Old 06-10-2016, 09:38 PM   #9
Dbz4246
Breeding 66% hets and 50% hets together really throws a lot of probability out the window. Unless a visual recessive is produced, you still can't confirm which snake is actually het. It's best to breed to a visual in the first place and that outcome would give you more of a clue

Old 06-12-2016, 01:07 AM   #10
Ballguy8771
I only have female clowns and that's going to be what I try to breed him with. I will get 1 or 2 none clowns but my male clowns that I get will try and breed with the none clowns I buy 1st. Hope all works out and I get what I'm after. If not hear is to the next couple of years. Should have started breeding in my early 20's but never to late to begin. Thanks to everyone for all ur help

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!