Bad Guy The Serpentarium- Lodi, Ca - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:13 AM   #1
Brandonadam209
Stop! The Serpentarium- Lodi, Ca

Beware of this place, bought a Red Tail Green Rat Snake from Robert who owns the "Museum" which was supposed to be "Captive Bred" Instead he is a Wild Caught Snake from Asia. Which means death is likely in his future in captivity. When I got him from The Serpentarium he was covered in red bumpy scabs, Robert said it will go away no big deal. It ended up being a combo of Blisters, parasites, and a upper respiratory infection. I asked Robert to give me a refund to pay for the snakes Vet care, and he said no. Only a refund if I give him the snake to be euthanized, and or sent back the shipper where his fate would be clear, ending in death... No compassion from this guy. I would not be on here right now but having been lied to, not to mention payed more for a Captive Born animal, and last but not least the care of the snake was left up to me whatever finances needed to try and bring him back to a healthy state.....

Old 08-29-2012, 08:05 AM   #2
KORBIN5895
Did you see this snake in person before you purchased?

Old 08-29-2012, 08:14 AM   #3
Lucille
Brandon, do you have emails between you and the seller, and a picture of the afflicted snake? Did the snake appear ill on receipt, and is that when the seller offered a refund?

Old 08-29-2012, 08:54 PM   #4
Brandonadam209
No, I did not see him before I purchased him. He did a special order for a CB Red Tail Green Rat Snake.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:59 PM   #5
Brandonadam209
I do not have email, because he is a local store, I do have pictures of the snake, when i went to pick him up he did have the scabs, however I made a point to ask what it was, and was told "It will go away" No refund offered upon initial pick up because he convinced me that the snake was healthy. When I went back two weeks later as his condition worsened I asked for a refund to pay for his vet care. He denied it to me, but only if I gave up the snake to be euthanized.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:15 PM   #6
g.spencer
You went to the store in person... looked him over and then paid for him. You are asking for a refund weeks later for vet bills. It is not uncommon for anyone to refuse that. He did in fact state that he would refund the funds if the animal was returned. That seems like a logical thing to me. I understand your concern for the animal's welfare, but perhaps you should have contacted the store about all this PRIOR to taking it to a vet.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:35 PM   #7
TheSerpentarium
Hello Brandon,

Firstly, the particular animal in question was never sold to you as a captive bred animal. I could be wrong, but I am not aware of anyone who has ever bred this species in captivity, anywhere(?).

When speaking about what snake would best fit what you were looking for - you said that it HAD to be green in color and would make a good display animal - I went over a few different species with you that we had on display and explained that we only carry captive bred animals and didn't work with Red Tail Green Rats, but could certainly special order one for you. I can only imagine that THIS is where the misunderstanding happened. We went over many snake species (Green Tree Pythons, Emerald Tree Boas, Baron's Green Racors, etc.), but you were dead set on a Red Tail Green Rat Snake.

If you remember, I actually tried to steer you away (more than once) from a Red Tail Green Rat Snake, telling you that they don't do well in captivity, which is why we don't work with them. I will admit that I did not say that they were wild caught, but I also did NOT say that they were captive bred. Unfortunately, you assumed this from our above mentioned conversation. I honestly figured that you knew a lot more about this particular species from how dead set you were on having one. I figured you had at least done your research on them (my mistake, and yours).

Nonetheless, I apologized for the misunderstanding when you came in with the snake wanting a refund, and I gladly offered you a full refund. Unfortunately, you wanted both, a refund AND the snake. When I tried to explain that refunds didn't work that way, you threatened to tarnish my name on Fauna. I said that was fine, because I know the members here understand the way refunds work.

I understand your frustration, Brandon. You thought you were getting a captive bred animal and you now have an animal with blisters. Working with wild caught animals can be very frustrating at times, which is why we don't really mess with them.

When you first came in to pick up the snake for the first time, the very first thing that I said and pointed out to you was the TWO (it was not covered in blisters) small bumps on its back by the tail. I said that I wasn't expecting to see bumps but they may go away after a shed and to keep us posted. If you would've refused the snake then I would've completely understood, but you did not once show any type of concern.

Now, back to when you brought the snake in demanding a refund - I want to make sure I cover all of your statements - you felt that I showed no compassion because I mentioned the possibility of euthanization; that's understandable. However, I feel that you misunderstood me. During me trying to explain how refunds worked, you said, "well, what are you going to do with him if I give him back?" I said, either send him back or ultimately euthanize him if he does not respond to treatment. Yes, I was blunt. And perhaps I should have shown more empathy (I apologize for that). But you have to realize that you had just threatened me at that point. I simply wanted to make it clear that you are entitled to a full refund, but that the snake would need to be turned over back into our care. There was no point in arguing and I just wanted a decision to be made; refund or not. It's very difficult to show empathy to someone who is threatening you because they're not getting their way.

Again, I apologize for what you've been through. It is always unfortunate when there is a misunderstanding. Your statements here are not 100% accurate, however, I am still willing to provide you with a 100% refund. So long as you're willing to return the animal.

At this point, I don't know what else I can do for you. I wish you and your snake the best, whichever decision you make.

Robert Coral
The Serpentarium
www.SnakeMuseum.com

Old 08-29-2012, 11:40 PM   #8
Brandonadam209
I payed for the snake in advance. So he could order him for me... I showed my concern and was told by who I thought was a trusted individual that he would get better. I guess this doesn't make sense to you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spencer View Post
You went to the store in person... looked him over and then paid for him. You are asking for a refund weeks later for vet bills. It is not uncommon for anyone to refuse that. He did in fact state that he would refund the funds if the animal was returned. That seems like a logical thing to me. I understand your concern for the animal's welfare, but perhaps you should have contacted the store about all this PRIOR to taking it to a vet.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:45 PM   #9
g.spencer
There it is Brandon.. return the animal for a refund. What part doesn't make sense to you?

Oh yeah... you want to keep the snake and have the refund too. Man.. what's wrong with MY thinking???

Old 08-29-2012, 11:50 PM   #10
Brandonadam209
You are 100% wrong Robert, you said to me that you could order me a red tail green rat "wild caught" for cheap but they do not do well in captivity...so we proceeded to order the Captive Bred... please do not humiliate yourself with lies...there was no misunderstanding. FYI, here is a link to a person that has not only bred them, but has crossed them with janseni creating a morph. http://www.oxyjansen.com/index.html

I can't believe how you just keep on with your lying, before I left with the snake I had your store worker call you personally in front of me and ask you about the bumps. They are nothing and will get better you said. When I saw you in person a few days later I asked you face to face, and I got the same response.

One last thing, if what you just ranted about for so long was in fact true I would not have even came into your store asking for a refund. I understand you have a reputation to keep and are willing to say anything to protect it. I do not expect less, or should I say "more" in your case.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!