Ball Python problems - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 02-05-2005, 09:18 PM   #1
Kallisto
Ball Python problems

Hello, I am concerned about my ball python and I was hoping for some suggestions...I have had him for two and half years and have never had this problem. He had a dry shed about a month and half ago and it took a long time for the skin to come off- I tried increasing the humidity and I soaked him. Before he finished with that shed, he began to shed again! So he had two layers of dead skin on the lower half of his body. The problem is, when the double layer began to come off, it looked like it wasn't ready to. The skin on his belly is red and inflamed and he arches when he moves in order not to come in contact with anything. I have been using Repti wound healing aid by Zoo Med for the last three days with no sign of it clearing up. In fact, there is a small spot where it looks hardened. Should I take him to the vet or do you think it will clear up with the increased humidity? Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 02-06-2005, 02:03 AM   #2
CrittersWild
Ball wounds

It has been to my expierance with that wound healing crap that it does more good than anything. Also when you read your ad, most of the time if the skin doesn't come off the belly is that it got burned. Are you using a heat rock? What type of substrate are you using? That wound heal if it is a burn holds the heat to the snake, there are other creams that will heal but let the heat dissapate from the wound. First things first TAKE IT TO THE VET! If ya have to think or ask about a vet 9-10 times your allready to late. If you have any other questions drop me a buzz. Critterswild@yahoo.com...and good luck

Old 02-06-2005, 12:52 PM   #3
evansnakes
house the snake on newspaper and apply neosporin to the belly area afflicted each day, it will heal very quickly

Old 02-06-2005, 06:37 PM   #4
hhmoore
check the temps of your cage - esp the "hot spot". I have never kept ball pythons, but I had a repeated rapid shedding experience with one of my large retics - she was in the middle of a stack of large cages, each with a big kane heat mat on the bottom. you guessed it. between her heater, and the one on the cage above, she was just too hot - not eating and shedding about every 2 1/2 - 3 weeks. It took me a few sheds to figure it out and I felt like a real idiot. That reddened belly sounds like a (possibly infected) burn, but can't be sure without seeing it.

Old 02-06-2005, 08:46 PM   #5
evansnakes
often the quick second shed cycle is the animal's way of trying to solve the initial poor shed

Old 02-07-2005, 03:23 AM   #6
Kallisto
Thanks for the replies...

I appreciate the input I have received. I didn't know that a quick second shed may be due to the fact that the first one was difficult. I took the advice of newspaper and neosporin, and he already looks a lot better. Now that I look at his belly, it does kind of look like a burn. But I don't use heat rocks, just an under mat heater and a lamp. I think the air in the room he is in was very dry and the humidity was low. So, the skin is all off and his belly looks better today and he is very alert and doesn't flinch from that area. I think he'll be ok, if it doesn't get better in a few days I will take him to the vet. Thanks for all of the advice!

Old 07-18-2005, 11:07 AM   #7
FuZZ84
I've only had corn snakes for 6 months and just recently got my first Jungle Carpet. What kind of substrate are you using? If you are using paper towels/ newspaper with a UTH that would explain the burn, if not, either add more substrate or use a thermostat to control the "hot spot" in the tank.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!