NEW MANGROVE SPECIES - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-09-2003, 08:40 PM   #1
Tony
NEW MANGROVE SPECIES

Here is something interesting to talk about. Its not a question, but maybe we can get these forums going a little. I don't know if anyone has heard, but a new species of mangrove has been classified. Varanus indicus has been split and many of the mangroves that were thought to be larger than normal are actually Varanus juxtindicus. It was just recently named. Juxtindicus gets larger, has a shorter, more blunt shaped head, and the tail is more round. Just something interesting I thought I would share. If anyone has any other info on this I would like to here about it. I haven't been able to find much on it. Thanks.

Tony Alles
www.reptileguru.com

Old 01-10-2003, 09:17 AM   #2
BEN SPARKS
Hi Tony,

This is the first I'v heard of seperate status being official. Theories
have abounded for years but I'v not kept a variety of mangroves
and therefor didnt have much input to add (same here).
Keep us updated if you find out anymore. It will be interresting
to see how this affects breeding and marketing. I can already hear some of those lovely people just itching to call someone elses mangroves "hybrids".LOL

God Bless
Ben@C.R.C.

Old 01-14-2003, 10:41 AM   #3
Rob Hill/Geckos Anonymous
Interesting post Tony.

I somewhat disagree with elevating the larger Mangroves to full species status. I have seen many examples of both "versions" and feel that they are more or less just regional variations or subspecies instead of full species. I've always thought they were interesting, but never thought of them as totally different species before, nor do I now. Both will breed together with no problems and from my limited understanding, they both come from pretty much the same places.

I'm curious where you found this info Tony. I haven't been able to dig up anything in my searches over the last couple hours since reading this. I'm not trying to dog you or anything, but your source was credible right? I have sometimes seen wholesalers and retailers proclaiming new species and subspecies on their lists without any basis in fact just to boost sales. Hopefully this is not the case.

And Ben, yes, it will be funny(assuming this new designation is accepted)to see all the people come out of the woodwork claiming all the horrid hybrid breeding that's been done over the years(not that there's been much breeding with Mangroves, though).

Old 01-14-2003, 12:59 PM   #4
Tony
I recieved the info from John Andragna at Cybersalvator.com. I think he is pretty credible. I have 1 male of this new type and 2 females of the normal type. The females lay infertile eggs about twice a year, but every time I put them in with the male they flip out. They want nothing to do with him. He shows interest though. Personally I agree with you, it should be a subspecies, but not its own species. They are still very similar. You know how it goes with monitors, they get changed back and forth all the time. They say the Blue Spot Monitor is not a type of Timor. Who knows for sure. Thanks for the responses.

Tony Alles
www.reptileguru.com

Old 01-14-2003, 06:43 PM   #5
Tony
I have kept both blue tails and crocs for several years. We have a captive bred croc from Ron St. Pierre that is super tame. We were trying to breed blue tails for about 3 years, but quit. No Luck. I have to go with you on that one. They are almost identical especially when you look at their heads and teeth. Blue Tails have huge sharp teeth, just like the crocs. Mangroves are much smaller. If they are making each Timor a different species, why don't they do it with chondros. Arus and Jayapuras come from different islands right? Just kidding. Thanks for the replys.

Tony Alles
www.reptileguru.com

Old 01-14-2003, 06:49 PM   #6
Seamus Haley
Quote:
Blue Tails have huge sharp teeth, just like the crocs.
Croc monitors have a dentation that is different from every other monitor species in existance...

Most Monitors the teeth meet in a manner that is almost point to point, the tips of the lower teeth meeting the points of the upper teeth (or close to it anyway), crocs the teeth interlock.

Old 01-14-2003, 07:09 PM   #7
Tony
I did not know that. All I know is that I have seen both of them up close and the closest thing I have seen to a crocs teeth are blue tails. The shape and size is very similar. That is probably due to their diets though. Thanks.

Tony Alles
www.reptileguru.com

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!