Snake's Belly Turning Pink: Is this a bad sign? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-23-2007, 11:39 PM   #1
Abby
Exclamation Snake's Belly Turning Pink: Is this a bad sign?

Hello everyone,
I've owned ball pythons for quite some time now, but haven't seen anything like this. I just got done feeding every one (4 ball pythons and a boa) and noticed everyone's bellies are turning pink (even the boas). Now, I know that sometimes their belly will turn a light pink right before shedding, but this is intense. I did just switch their bedding over to aspen (I was using Eco Earth coconut bedding), and am wondering if this could have something to do with it. Should I be worried? One of the ball python's stomach looks almost red, and I'm really concerned about it. Any help would be appreciated!

Abby

Old 09-24-2007, 01:54 AM   #2
Pink Lady Exotics
I wouldn't worry unless there is pus, drainage, scabbing, oozing, or a bad smell. Unless they're sitting in wet urine-soaked aspen, odds are the substrate isn't causing it and they're just going into shed. I have a few that get deep salmon-colored bellies right before going into shed.

Old 09-24-2007, 02:47 PM   #3
liquidleaf
My ball does this every once in a while - and it tends to be a week or two before a shed... so I think it's just another indicator (like clouded eyes) that he will be shedding soon. It only lasts for a day or so, so I think I don't see it a lot unless I happen to bring him out on that particular day.

If the substrate is dry and their bellies are dry, it's probably just that they're all going to get ready to shed (probably in response to their recent meals)...

Old 09-24-2007, 03:36 PM   #4
SPJ
Are you using a UTH?
If so, can the snake rest right on it now that you have a lighter, easier to move substrate?

Old 09-24-2007, 03:39 PM   #5
Abby
I checked their bellies today and they have lightened since yesterday. No, i don't use an UTH, the room my snakes are in is kept at the correct temperature for them at all times.

Old 09-25-2007, 01:51 AM   #6
Cat_72
What temp are you keeping the room at, and how do they thermoregulate? Balls should have an ambient temp in the low 80's, but need to have a "hot spot" temp in the 90-92 degree range.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:44 AM   #7
crotalusadamanteus
In the long run, a constant temperature will have an adverse affect on your snakes. Snakes NEED to be able to thermal regulate themselves for their proper health and digestion.

I would consider phasing in some sort of hot spot for the sake of the animals long term health. I prefer UTH style heat myself, but it needs to be regulated.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!