UPS, FedEx, Airborne Express, USPS - bad guys. - Page 16 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 02-13-2004, 07:55 PM   #151
Pennebaker
Good idea, I will try to get an email addy.

I forgot to give Sally Sweet's extension number...

800-228-3552 ext 8045

I am guessing that we did a little under the volume as Webslave and she mentioned that that was a "pretty high volume" when she looked at my records. I said it should be more this year.

Dana

Old 02-13-2004, 08:36 PM   #152
lolaophidia
I have received numerous snakes shipped via Airborne, UPS, Fed Ex and even USPS (I didn't know the shipper was going that route till I got the confirmation number and by then it was on it's way). I'm hoping to breed my snakes in the near future and have been very concerned with the idea of not being able to ship them to buyers. This year I may only need to ship 10 or 15 hatchlings but as more of my snakes reach breeding age- I'm looking at a few hundred a year. I know I'm small time, but all the small time shippers add up. The internet market for snakes is definitely something to be reckoned with. If the shipping companies aren't impressed with the number of packages individual shippers are listing- a quick scan of a couple of classified sites might give them a better idea of the number of snakes that will be shipped by some means. I'd be happy to sign a letter to be sent to the various companies to show that there's business to be had!

Lora Vencill

Old 02-13-2004, 08:39 PM   #153
turtlepimp
Right now,I ship my turtles Airborne only.I know thier policies of snakes.Not good.They are giving away alot of buisness.I'm not a huge dealer,but I did put out 122 boxes last year.
There has got to be a way to change all the shippers minds.I have ecieved turtles from other guys that had to be marked something other than what it contained.

I wonder why they want to give it away like that

Anywho Mr.Evil Love Bomber,you have my support in any action to change the Big 3's minds if they want you're money.

Andy Sury
TurtlePimp.com
Attached Images

Old 02-13-2004, 09:42 PM   #154
simplysnakes
We agree with you and you have our full support on this issue. We ship all on an average aout 15 to 20 boxes a month. Sometimes more. We started shipping with Fed Ex but they got so expensive that we switched to Airborne Express. We have also recieved about 5 to 15 boxes a month from UPS and Airborne. We did ship through UPS about 10 times but their customer service and service in general was HORRIBLE. We had to stop labeling our boxes live harmless reptiles because of the shippers refusing to ship it. And on a personal note - I Beth Moody once worked for Airborne Express in Ocala, FL and when the box said Live harmless reptiles the carriers who hated reptiles would THROW The box against the wall trying to harm/kill the animal(s) inside. They all knew how I felt and everybox there after was given to me to deliver whether on my route or not. So think twice before marking your box LIVE HARMLESS REPTILES! Hope this info helps. Beth & Paul Moody

Old 02-14-2004, 12:20 AM   #155
C. Reynolds
The email has been posted on my site. I will work on a form letter provided someone else hasn't started already. I used to handle claims for a moving company, so form letters are second nature to me. Let me know if you need it.

Old 02-14-2004, 12:27 AM   #156
Khaman
I found an online petition site that I e-mailed to WebSlave but the form letter would have to be set up on it and I don’t know where to start or how to word it.

Old 02-14-2004, 01:10 AM   #157
C. Reynolds
I am working on the petition now, I will post it for review before I put it online

Old 02-14-2004, 01:21 AM   #158
C. Reynolds
Here it is!

Okay here it is for peer review. I will setup an online petition once we agree on the content. I took various quotes from people in this thread to be used in the petition, I hope nobody minds.

Quote:
We the undersigned propose a change of policy in regards to the shipping of Live Harmless Snakes.

Be it known that it is common knowledge that such companies as Federal Express, United Parcel Service, The United States Postal Service, and Airborne Express will not knowingly accept Live Harmless Snakes as cargo for door-to-door deivery service. Be it also known that these same companies have provisions for other Live Reptiles and Amphibians. We contend that this constitutes blatant discrimination against individuals and companies involved in the legal business of breeding and selling Live Harmless Snakes, while allowing those who deal in other live reptiles and amphibians an unfair advantage.

Be it also known we are aware that some of the aforementioned shipping companies have provided for some of their clients one or more of the following:

a) a written agreement/waiver for the shipping of Live Harmless Snakes
b) are being granted a "blind eye" policy towards them using their services
c) some businesses are allowed to utilize those services as local management exception-based decisions

We shall refer to the above herein as "Exceptions". We contend that this is highly discriminatory towards any competitors of those businesses who are not allowed the obvious advantage of these "Exceptions". We further contend that these "Exceptions" are not applied equally throughout the shipping company and are often based on the volume of business a company provides to the shipping company.

Be it also known that a situation has arisen for some people not granted "Exceptions". These people are deliberately not marking their boxes with the accurate contents in order to simply survive in this business. This could constitute a violation of the Federal Lacey Act, (which requires the labeling of boxes of live animals) and subject these people to severe penalties if discovered. It is obvious that based on the above mentioned circumstances, they have no other choices available to be competitive. These policies affect thousands of people dealing in millions of dollars worth of animals every year. We believe we are blatantly being discriminated against and our businesses are suffering accordingly. As such, we believe it is time to do something about this situation instead ofjust standing by and watching our entire industry wither away.

We the undersigned propose that a review of policy be initiated to allow the shipping of Live Harmless Snakes by common carrier. The shipping of Live Harmless Snakes does not carry any more risk than the shipping of other live reptiles and amphibians. The benefits to the carrier that allows such shipping is enormous. We believe that a change in the policy would not only benefit us as shippers, but would have a huge monetary benefit to the shipping company that changes their policy to reflect the allowance of the shipping of Live Harmless Snakes. We therefore conclude that it is in the best interest of both parties that a compromise be reached, and the shipping of Live Harmless Snakes to be alolowed as a matter of policy, and not of "Exception".
Please leave your comments/suggested changes/hate mail here.

Old 02-14-2004, 01:50 AM   #159
WebSlave
Actually, I think it is excellent! Very well done!

Let's all chew on this to see how it fits with how we should initially approach the shipping companies initially. Once we agree on a final form, then we have to figure on a target number of signatures before we would have the mass to get their attention when they receive it.

You know, this has got me thinking along another line. Do you think sending a similarly worded letter to our representatives in Congress would be worth the effort? Sometimes pressure from Washington on companies engaging in interstate commerce can have an effect. And NOBODY likes to have themselves under the microscope in Washington D.C.

The House of Representatives Committee on Small Business, and the Senate Small Business and Entrepreneurship Committee may be excellent places to start making some noises about this.

Old 02-14-2004, 02:20 AM   #160
Mickey_TLK
Great letter, but a couple of quick thoughts.

Maybe we should mention our willingness as a industry to unite under ONE shipping company, should one provide us with the means to fairly run our business. Of course this would not be binding, but may add to their temptation.

Second, my only worry with contacting congressmen is if we were to pick the wrong one. As we are all well aware, some people do not care for herps in any way or form. As such it could backfire, as we may alert a person to something they were unaware of, and worse unsupportive of.

But then again, I dont trust anyone in government.

Mickey Hinkle
The Lizard King Reptiles

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!