Realistically speaking.. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-04-2005, 01:25 AM   #1
chondrogal
Realistically speaking..

I'm considering trying to raise funds to build a reptile breeding center (for my precious arboreals) but would like to provide safe haven for the growing numbers of local crotalus that are getting shoved out of their homes. I have plenty of raw acreage that is begging to be put to good use in pretty remote area.

Currently local snakes are destroyed by animal control. I've been trying to come up with some sort of positive alternative to the way things currently are here. I've considered that there is a need for venom, is it realistically possible for someone to raise enough funds through venom extraction to cover the cost for the upkeep for these animals? I do not have a license to keep hots, nor any special qualifications other than my passion for these local animals. I'm ready to jump through as many hoops as necessary, but would like to know at the end of the tunnel there might be a bright light. I have handled hundreds during animal control years and feel confident about being able to safely house and provide for them, I would really like to provide them with safe haven.

I could have/raise my chondros, and do something good for my favorite local snakes too.

Old 11-04-2005, 08:46 AM   #2
hhmoore
the topic of relocating rattlesnakes to remote areas has been discussed in another thread, but it sounds as if you are now considering housing them instead...am I correct in this interpretation? I would like to commend you for your interest in helping these often maligned creatures. Now, to the subject of venom procurement for the purpose of raising money. There are 2 primary areas in which venom is used (at least that is what comes to mind at this moment) - drug research and antivenom production. I believe that both of these would be regulated by the FDA. It has been some years since I was heavily involved with the keeping of venomous snakes, but I'm sure that the guidelines for procurement have not become more lax in that time. (At this point I will point out that I was at no time active in venom procurement, and I can only offer what little I remember of anecdotal information on the topic). Obviously, some sort of lab would be required to ensure properly aseptic conditions. I am fairly certain that once obtained, the venom must be frozen (freeze-dried?) within a short time period. from what I recall, North American crotalid venom did not fetch a particularly high price per ounce (or was it gram? either way, it was a pittance compared to more exotic species). Think about how much venom it would take to obtain any amount in crystalline form. Considering what it must take for FDA approval (and licensing, if they are the controlling body - USDA involvement??), inspections, insurance, equipment, etc; my guess is that it would be quite some time before you would could break even, let alone finance/fund your projects. I don't mean to be discouraging, but it is likely to be a long and daunting effort - without even considering the funds required to make it happen. If you have an interest, by all means investigate what would be required (sorry I couldn't be of more help in that area). I, for one, would be interested in your findings. Best of luck.

Old 11-24-2005, 01:38 PM   #3
SCReptiles
The FDA has no bearing on the production of raw venom. They also have no bearing on the sell of raw venom unless it is going to be directly used in the production of medicine, or human testing. However, to answer your question, no. Venom production is not lucrative enough to maintain a housing facility. Bill Hasst, George VanHorn, and Jim Harrison produce more then the demand calls for. I have been producing and selling rattlesnake venom for a few years. The only business I really get are local physicians, students, or universities that save money by buying from me and not having to pay shipping to the 3 I just mentioned. It goes for about $100 per CC of raw and about $100 for one dried mg, which takes about 5 cc to make. That would be milking about 4 average size black tails.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!