BEWARE! The Shell Shop of Central Florida shipping practices - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 09:21 PM   #31
sputnik
No, this thread isn't about good or bad deals with shell shop, it's about their shipping practices of frogs!

Old 07-14-2003, 09:25 PM   #32
Petty2000
Shell Shop

Well I just thought that if someone ships one animal correctly that you would think they would ship all correctly , or do they just submit frogs to this ? Tim Candler

Old 07-14-2003, 09:27 PM   #33
Audrina Head
Dry ice? Unless the animals are shipped in an airtight container, the CO2 released from the sublimation of the dry ice would kill them quick (and an airtight container isn't very good either!)

Plus, carbon dioxide freezes at -70 F. That's 100 degrees below freezing! A little chilly - good if you want your frozen mice to arrive solid, but I wouldn't use it with an animal you want to arrive alive!

Just sounds a little weird.

Old 07-14-2003, 09:35 PM   #34
Cindy C
vet

go to BanfieldVeterinaryHospital.com Cindy Carley

Old 07-14-2003, 09:40 PM   #35
Ken Harbart
Actually, the surface temperature of dry ice is around -109. It's a toss-up which would kill the animals first- hypothermia or anoxia.

Old 07-14-2003, 09:47 PM   #36
Ken Harbart
Re: vet

Quote:
Originally posted by Cindy C
go to BanfieldVeterinaryHospital.com Cindy Carley
No such site. That domain isn't even registered to anyone. Perhaps you misspelled it?

Old 07-14-2003, 10:16 PM   #37
Ken Harbart
Just to clarify for everyone, Banfield does refer to it's vet techs as nurses.

However, I'm curious as to what Banfield location we're talking about, since they list their location closest to Maumee as being a wellness clinic 125 miles away.

Old 07-14-2003, 10:43 PM   #38
HerpVenue
I did not read everything.
I could not read everything after I read frogs are shipped "lovingly" with dry ice.

I know nothing about amphibians.

Can someone tell me if this is common practice?

I work in a Lab. When we ship blood samples and serum that need to stay FROZEN....we ship with dry ice.

Someone tell me it is common practice or tell me the ad was just a joke.

Also I know some people who use dry ice to asfixiate (sp?) their feeder rodents. After all dry ice is carbon dioxide.

A box. with animals and dry ice. which would kill them? The cold or the CO2? Or would it even kill them?

If you cut your neck and decided to put a turniquette on it...which part would die? Your head or your body?

Just some questions from this uninformed person.

Old 07-14-2003, 10:55 PM   #39
gila7150
Is this Shell Shop a retail store or just an internet business? I live in Central FL and have never heard of them. There used to be an aweful tourist trap store in Kissimmee called "Pets and Shells" that sold seashells, hedgehogs, and low end herps kept in horrendous conditions. Are these two affiliated?

By the way, I worked as a vet tech in the early 90's for 3 years and I never considered myself a nurse.
Back when I was in high school I worked as a petroleum transfer technician at a local gas station.

Old 07-14-2003, 11:52 PM   #40
CheriS
Chris

I think that was a Petroleum Transfer Engineer, hon.

Can I be a Reptile Nurse, I dish out meds and probiotic daily, balance diets (dietary tech maybe?) clean cages (sanitation engineer?...naw)... or does that make me a domestic reptile goddess?

Wait..... I check poos, email with Vets and researchers daily...... Oh yeah, I'm a consultant!!

This is much more fun than my crummy Social Worker degree....

PS: Dry Ice.... are you serious......ewwwwwwwww, I am not touching that one!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread