BEWARE! The Shell Shop of Central Florida shipping practices - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 12:47 AM   #41
Mark and Aimee
Credibility...

Where I am from...

Banfield = PetSmart.

Ever talked to the reptile "experts" at a PetSmart?

'Nuff said.

Old 07-15-2003, 01:52 AM   #42
RosendoP
The Shell Shop inquiry

They are located in the Land O Lakes/Wesley Chapel area which is about 20 minutes North of Tampa. I was going to purchase some adult RedBelly turtles from them but the animals looked like $%@# so I declined. Just thought I would clear it up on their location.

Old 07-15-2003, 02:10 AM   #43
Rick Staub
dry ice

There is zero chance of an animal surviving if it is shipped with dry ice. Every 44 grams of dry ice can produce about 22 liters of carbon dioxide. Chances are they would affixiate before they froze as the transfer of gas is much quicker than the transfer of heat, or in this case the loss of it. Carbon dioxide is denser than air so it would sink to the bottom of the shipping container then slowly fill the entire container. Slow in this case would be on the order of minutes not hours. If the container was sealed then it would build up pressure as the dry ice sublimates (ooh big word! lol, turns to gas) (isn't chemistry fun) and eventually explode. As a practical joke in the lab we place a piece of dry ice in a plastic vial with a snap on lid and throw it under an associate's desk. Within minutes it goes off like a firecracker.

FYI, Affixiation with dry ice is one of the 3 accepted methods for killing rodents in academic research. Cervical dislocation and drug overdose being the other 2.

More than you wanted to know I'm sure.

Old 07-15-2003, 10:22 AM   #44
bpc
Gonna try to respond very carefully here....

2 cuban tree frogs for $11.95 delivered (shipped). No one has actually ordered any, and no one has had any arrive dead. Is that correct?

You have two customers who stand behind Shell Shop and one who says their turtles looks like crap.

You've spent three pages bashing the hell out of some woman because A) she stood up for a company she believes in and B) because YOU don't agree with HER job title.

Here's what I think:

First, cuban tree frogs are some of the hardiest animals on the planet. I know from personal experience as I've kept them before. That is one of the reasons they are taking over the state of FL and killing off our native species. I've actually seen cuban take temps above 100F while inside a deli cup w/o having any noticable effect. I know they will take more heat than a ball python or a corn snake because I have given those three animals to a friend on consignment and while he was bringing them back he cooked the corn and brain damaged the balls, but the cuban was happy as a lark sitting in the same spot. So that being said, why don't you wait until the guy actually robs the bank before you convict him.

2-3 day shipping. I'm pretty sure that if YOU the customer were not happy w/ the method of shipping and wanted to pay for what you thought was a better method they would probably work w/ you on that, don't ya think.

Cindy's choice of job title: You guys need to get a life. She can call herself "head crap-cleaner" if she wants to. It's her job. I'm a teacher, but many day's I call myself a "glorified baby sitter." Guess you'd better throw out all my opinions also.

Old 07-15-2003, 10:38 AM   #45
TripleMoonsExotic
They're called Vet Techs not Vet Nurses...I know...My mum was one...

and I'm pretty darn sure that the dry ice would kill them...It takes mere minutes to kill mice with it...

Old 07-15-2003, 11:36 AM   #46
Rob @ RK Reptiles
First off I would like to stress I am not bashing her because of her title. I was interested and asked because I have Never heard a Vet. Tech referred to as a Vet. Nurse and I have been working with Vet's and Vet Tech.'s for close to 25 years.
Second, no matter how hardy a Cuban Tree frog (or any other reptile for that matter) is, shipping in that fashion or even thinking about shipping in that fashion is a terrible thing and it violates the IATA regulations for shipping of Live animals. Whether or not everyone knows it EVERY package of live animals (Reptile or other) are regulated by IATA standards (Whether or not is is flying on an Airline or other carrier). They may not enforce it on the general public but they can. One thing in the IATA standards (I don't remember the exact wording) it states that any shipment of live animals must be shipped in the fastest and most humane fashion. Shipping ANYTHING alive via "cheapest 2-3 day service available in your area" is NOT the fastest and most humane method in any stretch of the imagination and violates the IATA standards.

Old 07-15-2003, 11:49 AM   #47
Darin Chappell
Brian,

You know full well that the reason that Cindy was questioned as she was is because she registered and posted in the thread all on the same day. The "one thread wonders" that come out fo the woodwork just to praise someone that has been questioned or singled out for questioning due to his/her practices ALWAYS draw attention from those who are savy to the workings of the BOI. You also understand why that is. It is because so many people here are not what they profess to be, and they make up screen names and false identities, and all sorts of other crazy things to try and pump up their deflated images.

Also, you know why it is that some have questioned her self-described job title. If she is a true veterinary nurse, what are her qualifications? If she is a vet tech, why not just call herself what she is? Everyone here is respectful of those who work with vets as techs, or in any other capacity. If she is neither a vet tech nor a vet nurse, then her credibility is suspect for the rest of what she had to say. That is the ONLY interest in the true status of her work title, and I believe you know that, Brian. Beyond how it pertains to her credibility on other issues pertaining to this thread, I couldn't care less what she calls herself. She could be the Grand Poo-Bah of Feline and Canine Medical Services, if she wants . . .more power to her.

Old 07-15-2003, 01:52 PM   #48
sputnik
Quote:
So that being said, why don't you wait until the guy actually robs the bank before you convict him.
So your attitude is wait for some animals to die before saying anything....NICE!

I am glad you don't ship!

Old 07-15-2003, 07:20 PM   #49
Cindy C
Stop! shellshop

I feel so popular ....A good friend once told me "It's better to be talked about bad, then not talked about at all." Hmmm.. You guys are truely obsessed(Daring and Rob) about bashing shellshop no matter what anyone says! Why do you hate them so much? Maybe you should visit the narcissistic behavior disorder forum and talk to others just like you. I'm sure nothing I say matters ...your always right anyone else is always wrong. By the way there are many Banfield's that are not inside of Petsmarts, as they are 2 seperate companies that sometimes share the same space. Stop talking about me and find a new topic to discuss concerning reptiles. Cindy Carley

Old 07-15-2003, 07:34 PM   #50
sputnik
It would seem you are the one talking so much about yourself.

The issue is shell shops shipping practices of frogs.

Your post and out burst at Darin (NOT Daring) and Rob was nothing short juvenile. If all you can come up with is to suggest that they should be going to another forum for disorders your post was and is are a long way short of anything constructive.

Darin and Rob are in my opinion VERY well respected members in the reptile world.

In other words, get some credibility... and stop rambling about nothing.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread