News to me! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-09-2006, 04:39 PM   #1
Tim Cole
Question News to me!

I do Educational Reptile Programs for a living. In doing so, I hear a lot of stories and mis-conceptions. Recently a young, budding herper, informed me that Bullsnakes have 2 scales on the tail which they rub together to make a hissing sound. And he further explained that they loose this as they get older. I have to admit that I have nevr heard this story before. I have kept and bred bullsnakes on and off since the early seventies. I tried to tell him that this wasn't so and the sound he heard was the snake hissing. Anyone on this list familiar with this?

Old 04-09-2006, 05:03 PM   #2
hhmoore
I am familiar with that (bullsnakes hissing, that is). Never heard the one about the cartilage on the tail though (it's in front of the glottis, but you already knew that)

Old 04-09-2006, 05:15 PM   #3
norsmis
I have to say I have never any noises coming from the "other" end of any pit. It all comes from that wide open glottis. I was at a show in Havre de Grace, MD this weekend and a gentlemen had a leucistic southern pine yearling that was clearly not happy about being there. I could hear her hissing through a deli cup and a display case but when he took her out he put his finger right up to her mouth and she layed down and quit hissing. All bluff unlike the gopher I had!
It really is amazing the folklore that is out there about reptiles. I will have to say that is the first time I have ever heard that one though.....

Old 04-10-2006, 07:49 AM   #4
starwarsdad
That's a new one to me as well?????

Old 04-10-2006, 08:45 AM   #5
pasam
I always thought it was a hissing too. There is so much rubbish behind snakes, it gets irritating sometimes the stories I hear. I am on a mission this summer to catch and relocate snakes from My Roomamtes mothers house so she will stop hoeing thier heads off. Of course I need to know a lot more about the Vems out here, I dont want to get bit by one of those. Anyone know where I can find info on Vems out in western PA?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!