Hoggie won't eat, dehydration? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-24-2015, 11:49 AM   #1
elahrairoo
Hoggie won't eat, dehydration?

I have a young male hoggie (I'm not entirely sure how old he is, but he's about 12 inches long and weighs 30g). He had a bad shed in the beginning of October, and he's only eaten twice since then. I know that hoggies are sometimes finicky eaters, so I haven't been too concerned about it, but the past few days I've noticed that he has some wrinkles in the turns when he's coiled. The rest of his behavior is normal, he is active in the tank and exploring and burrowing. His basking spot is at 86, and the rest of the tank hovers around 74 (it gets a little colder at night). I have seen him drinking out of his water dish, but from things I've read online the wrinkles might mean he's dehydrated?

I have an appointment to take him to the vet on Saturday just to make sure nothing serious is going on, but I'm concerned and would also like some more ideas about how to get him to eat. He's been eating fuzzies, but the last time he ate it was a pinkie (because I couldn't get him to eat a fuzzy). There's a fuzzy in the tank now, but he hissed at me when I was putting it in and then hasn't touched it.

Old 11-24-2015, 01:04 PM   #2
bcr229
He might be going into shed again. Try either bumping up his humidity or giving him a humid hide.

Old 11-24-2015, 01:54 PM   #3
elahrairoo
That was another thing I was thinking, but it's only been 2 months since his last shed, so I didn't think he would shed again so early!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!