HELP PLEASE..... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-18-2011, 11:54 PM   #1
thekingofwalker
HELP PLEASE.....

My son got a Bearded Dragon on 10/15/11. I'm not sure of the age but it is a male and he's 14 1/2 inches long. We got him from a pet store and he hasn't pooped since we have had him. We did everything that was required for him to be happy. We give him a bath every night in Luke warm water for about 30 min. He is in a 50 gal tank with plenty of room. His basting rock is about 110 and the rest of tank is about 75 to 80. His lamp is a uva plus heat lamp and it stays on about 11 hours a day. He eats around 50 live crickets twice a day plus a nice bowl of fresh must greens once a day. He is pretty alert and active. But no poop. I'm afraid something is wrong. Is there something Im doing wrong? Does he only poop everyother day? Could it be cause of new home? If someone could give me some answers please it don't want it to get sick or die cause my son has fell in love with it as well as the rest of the family. Thanks

Old 10-19-2011, 12:27 AM   #2
Ed Clark
Relax it will happen.

The 30 minute baths are a little long, try 10 minute baths or if you see him put his head down and drink that's long enough.

Your tank temps are a little low at 75*F if they drop lower than that it will slow him down. aim for around 85-90*F background temps.

He seems to be eating good, do you have a UVB bulb on his cage?

What are you using for substrate on the bottom of the cage?

Old 10-19-2011, 08:45 AM   #3
thekingofwalker
Yes I have a UVB light in his cage. I put ceramic tile in bottom of tank for easy cleaning.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:28 PM   #4
Ed Clark
The tiles pretty much rule out impaction unless you have small stones or cage decorations like plastic plants.

Up your back ground temps a little, that will up the dragons metabolism.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:28 PM   #5
thekingofwalker
What should I up back ground temp to? Also he used bathroom a lot today while I was at work. I'm not sure what it should look like but some was hard and alittle was runny and about four different colors. Could the little runny be from the change in food? I forgot we fed him superworms for last two days instead of crickets?

Old 10-19-2011, 11:16 PM   #6
Ed Clark
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekingofwalker View Post
What should I up back ground temp to? Also he used bathroom a lot today while I was at work. I'm not sure what it should look like but some was hard and alittle was runny and about four different colors. Could the little runny be from the change in food? I forgot we fed him superworms for last two days instead of crickets?
I like a back ground temp around 85*F, it can vary a little either way.super worms are good dragon food, vary the diet don't feed the same thing every day. don't forget to dust with calcium now and then.stools tend to be runny sometimes when feeding heavy greens.

Old 10-25-2011, 05:22 PM   #7
thekingofwalker
Thanks for your help it helped me out A LOT. I raised the temp alittle with a low watt bulb and now my temps are 110 in basking area and about 91 in rest of tank and he uses bathroom more frequently. I have another question you might be able to help me with. Water. We have a bowl of water in there but he don't ever seem to drink it. It just seems to be taking up space in the tank. Can I just take it out and do away with it? I give a daily bath and feed him fresh greens everyday is that where he's getting his water from? And is that enough or should I keep water dish in there?

Old 10-25-2011, 06:28 PM   #8
Ed Clark
You do not need to keep a dish of water in the cage, the soakings you give him gives him the opportunity to drink if he is thirsty.I never put water dishes in with any of my dragons.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:41 PM   #9
Ed Clark
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekingofwalker View Post
I give a daily bath and feed him fresh greens everyday is that where he's getting his water from?
You only need to soak the dragon every 5-7 days, yes feeding greens supplies some water.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!