blue eyes being het - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-01-2011, 03:36 AM   #1
will11780
blue eyes being het

Ok ive got a question about my sandfire german giant he had blue eyes (just passed away) and he has produced some awesome offspring but he bred with just an orange sandfire normal beardie eyes im trying to figure out if his offspring will be het for the blue eyes if so what percent would it be also does anyone know of this is a genetic that can or is passed on? Im really hoping that it is something that is passed on cuz this has been the hardest on me and ive got a few that look just like him just cant tell eye color real easily

Old 10-01-2011, 08:54 AM   #2
TimTina
I sent you a pm with contact information on the genetics of the blue eyes. Legacy has blue eyed dragons and I received some genetic information from them at one time......Angel should be able to help you out.....Sorry to hear about your dragon..:O(
Tim & Tina
TNOLL944@YAHOO.COM

Old 10-12-2011, 10:49 PM   #3
Sushi Dragons
From Legacy Dragons-
Quote:
Genetic investigation into the gene that is responsible for the blue eye coloring in our Bearded Dragon males Brisingr and Tango indicates the gene will be passed on to their offspring. However, until further breeding of their offspring can be done to "prove out" this genetic trait, it is not certain what percentage of the gene the babies will carry. Further study will be done to determine if this is a Co-dominate or Recessive gene and if we can push it to a more Dominate state. Being that Brisingr and Tango both visibly show the blue eyes, it is highly probable that this gene exists in their DNA as a Co-dominate gene. Again, we can not determine at this time what percentage of their babies will retain this gene, but they will be carriers of the trait.
If the trait is dominant then 50% of the hatchlings will be blue eyed
If the trait is recessive, then 100% of the hatchlings will be carriers
If the trait is codominant then 100% of the hatchlings will be carriers, but will be visually something else that indicates that they carry the gene.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:50 PM   #4
Sushi Dragons
And sorry about your loss. I missed the part where it said he passed away.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:05 PM   #5
will11780
Yeah its sucks he passed at least i have around 20 of his babies right now to choose from for his replacement. I dont understand the dom gene to codom gene and all that to confusing to me

Old 10-12-2011, 11:49 PM   #6
Sushi Dragons
Dominant is dominant to any other gene. If a dominant gene is present, it will be expressed.

Codominant is similar, but it has two expressible forms. If one copy is present you will see it in the offspring. If two copies are present you will see a different trait altogether.

You see a lot of doms and codoms in ball pythons, it might make more sense to you if you check out some examples of bps.

Spider- dominant- no copies = normal. one copy = spider. two copies = spider.
Mojave- codominant- no copies = normal. one copy = mojave. two copies = super mojave which is a blue-eyed white snake and completely different from the single copy morph.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:41 AM   #7
bliss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Dragons View Post
If the trait is dominant then 50% of the hatchlings will be blue eyed
If the trait is recessive, then 100% of the hatchlings will be carriers
If the trait is codominant then 100% of the hatchlings will be carriers, but will be visually something else that indicates that they carry the gene.

I was under the impression that with genetics, it was:

Normal x Dominant ... All offspring will physically show that dominant trait

Normal x Co-dominant... half and half. (example: non leather x Ita. leather = half leathers, half normal scale).

Normal x Recessive ... All normals, but all of them are carriers for that recessive trait.

Am I just misunderstanding something, or.. what?

Old 10-15-2011, 03:48 PM   #8
KelliH
Quote:
Originally Posted by bliss View Post

Normal x Co-dominant... half and half. (example: non leather x Ita. leather = half leathers, half normal scale).

Normal x Recessive ... All normals, but all of them are carriers for that recessive trait.

No, that's correct. So I still cannot tell from this thread... are the blue eyes a recessive trait?

Old 10-15-2011, 10:41 PM   #9
ladyconz
Sorry to her about your loss. I lost my Blue eyed boy the beginning of last month

Old 10-15-2011, 11:07 PM   #10
Sushi Dragons
Quote:
Originally Posted by bliss View Post

Yeah, you're right. My previous wasn't a complete answer.

Dominant
Dd X dd (Single Copy Dominant X Normal) = 50% Dominant trait, 50% Normal
DD X dd (Double Copy Dominant X Normal) = 100% Dominant trait

Codominant
"The genetic gist to codominance is pretty much the same as incomplete dominance. A hybrid organism shows a third phenotype --- not the usual "dominant" one & not the "recessive" one ... but a third, different phenotype. With incomplete dominance we get a blending of the dominant & recessive traits so that the third phenotype is something in the middle (red x white = pink)."

CC (Double Copy Codominant gene) example- silkie
Cc (Single Copy Codominant gene) example- italian leather back
cc (Normal) example- normal scale

CC x cc = 100% Cc. So, a silkie by a normal produces 100% italian leatherback
Cc x Cc = 25% silkie, 50% Italian Leather, 25% normal
This is what I meant when I said "If the trait is codominant then 100% of the hatchlings will be carriers, but will be visually something else that indicates that they carry the gene." A het for silkie dragon is visually an italian leatherback.

If blue eyes is codominant then there is another morphological trait being overlooked or that hasn't been discovered. For all we know, the CC for blue eyes is purple toenails. Or, if blue eyes is the CC then the het form might be green eyes, etc.

I can't make it any clearer than that, but I had to give it another shot.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!