Meet my new beardie! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-04-2007, 02:50 PM   #1
Hleb
Meet my new beardie!

Hi guys.

Today I got my bearded dragon and I'm very pleased indeed! I went in to the store to choose one and was in there for about 30 minutes deciding.. ops: There were 4 in there and they all looked healthy and perky but in the end I went with the brightest one (colour wise) and because he seemed to respond to me up at the glass.

I've decided to name him Hleb, although I'm not actually sure whether it's a boy or a girl yet!

Here are a couple of pics of him, not the best of quality.

Some general info for you.

At the minute I've got him in a tank that measures 30"(L), 12"(W) and 18"(H). Of course this is only for the next couple of months, he'll be moving in to a much larger enclosure when he out grows this one.

The UV Light I've got in the tank is an old one I used for my previous Lizard, and I'm aware that it is probably next to useless but I've ordered a Repti-Sun 10.0 which was despatched today so should be with me tomorrow. I've also ordered a digital temp probe too. To be honest I am not sure of the EXACT temps in the enclosure, but I know they aren't too far off and I'm sure he'll be okay until the digital temp arrives in the next couple of days? Also, his heat light hands quite low from the top of the tank.... when the lizard is sat on top of his basking log, his head is about4-5 inches from it. Is this too close?

The pet store didn't have any crickets that were the right kind of size for him, they only had ones that were too big so I got some really small ones. It's not ideal, but it will do until I can get some decent sized ones in bulk. Problem is I am not sure what each size is called..... as a guess what would you say the size would be called for a lizard of this size? The gap between his eyes is about 1.5cm.

I also put some veg in for him (cabbage, carrots and tomato, all sliced finely) and sprinkled it with Nutrobal (is this stuff good?) and surprisingly he ate some! Didn't expect him to, atleast not within the first day of moving to his new home.

I haven't attempted to handle him yet of course.. I'll give him a couple of days to adjust to everything. However, when I put my hand in earlier to remove a fresh poop ( :P ) I gave him a little tickle on his head which he had no problems with, infact I think he quite liked it! So far he hasn't waved at me, or head bobbed but he did bulge his eyes resulting in me having a little panic! "What's wrong!? Is his tank too hot? Too cold? Is he dying!?" Then I remembered reading this is perfectly normal - Why do they do it again?

So that's about all. Any questions, feel free to ask!

Oh one final thing, and a little concern I have. Perhaps it's normal but I thought I'd ask. He's been scratching at the glass alot, and while not exactly bashing his nose against it, he seems to rub it up against it a little. Is this normal behaviour? And will it harm him? I know some type of lizards bash their snouts against the glass and end him damaging them quite badly..

Old 01-04-2007, 03:18 PM   #2
FireDrake
Tomato, cabbage and carrots is not an ideal veggie diet for dragons, check out this link: http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtrem...Nutrition.html
there is excellent diet info there.

Hope that helps

Sarah

Old 01-06-2007, 05:59 AM   #3
Hleb
Hey guys.

Someone on another forum has got me paranoid now. I made this same thread over there and they made a comment that it looked like a Rankins Dragon.. and after looking at a few images of Rankins Dragons I have to agree!

Can anyone actually tell 100% that what I have is your standard Bearded Dragon!?

Old 01-06-2007, 10:33 AM   #4
FireDrake
looks like a beardie to me. But then I have never seen a juvie rankins....

How big is the dragons snout to tip of tail?

And did you get it from a pet store? Right now, in the US Rankins are not as popular as beardies yet, I cannot imagine babies ending up in a pet store unidentified, although, there are a lot of stupid people out there.

Take a picture of the whole back and post that, it might help identify it better.

And if it turns out to be a Rankins, that's ok they are just smaller beardies.

Sarah

Old 01-07-2007, 10:26 AM   #5
Hleb
Some new pics..

Old 01-07-2007, 01:45 PM   #6
FireDrake
Still looks like a beardie to me, anyone else? Either way you will know soon....a normal and healthy beardie will quickly grow so big you will know it's not a rankins

Hope that helps

Sarah

Old 01-07-2007, 06:39 PM   #7
Rebel Dragons
It looks like a beardie to me. The chances of someone selling a rankins as a beardie are slim. I would have a hard time believing someone had rankins and didn't have a clue about it.

The similarities people are probably seeing, is that rankins and normal phased beardie do look similar when they are young. As time passes the beardies outgrow rankins 10 fold and the only similarity left is the coloring. Give him some time to grow and you'll know if it's a beardie for sure.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!