SoCal man pleads no contest in torture of tortoise - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 09-10-2007, 03:44 AM   #1
Clay Davenport
SoCal man pleads no contest in torture of tortoise

VENTURA – An 18-year-old pleaded no contest in the theft and torture of a Ventura family's pet tortoise, as the family coped with the possible poisoning of their dog.

Jose “Tony” Mosqueda of Ventura pleaded no contest to felony animal cruelty Wednesday, about two months after the 42-pound African spurred tortoise was found in bloodied condition behind an apartment complex.

Mosqueda is accused of taking the animal, named Bob, from its owners' yard on July 7 and mutilating it with a knife, cutting its legs and neck, and puncturing and possibly trying to cut it from its shell.

Sentencing for Mosqueda, who had earlier pleaded not guilty, was set for Oct. 13.

He faces up to three years in a state penitentiary, but would not likely go to prison because he is a minor with no criminal record, Deputy District Attorney Wendy Macfarlane said.

Mosqueda's lawyer, Brian Vogel, said after the hearing that his client felt horrible about the turtle's treatment.

“He wanted to resolve this case in the early stage of the proceedings and take responsibility for what he did,” Vogel said.

But tortoise owner Dorothy Sullivan, whose 6-year-old autistic son has a close relationship with the animal, said Mosqueda should have pleaded guilty if he were truly remorseful.

“If he really wants to get better as he claims, well, be honest and take responsibility for what you've done,” she said.

Meanwhile, the family dealt with the death of their dog Flapps, which they said was euthanized Monday after suddenly becoming seriously ill.

Police are investigating the possible poisoning of the 12-year-old miniature dachshund, along with reported phone threats against the Sullivan family.

An employee at a veterinarian's clinic told authorities the dog showed “symptoms of ingesting antifreeze,” although a necropsy to confirm the dog's cause of death was not conducted, police Detective Kenny McConathy said.

Vogel said he did not believe Mosqueda, who has been jailed lieu of $100,000 bail, was connected to the dog's health or the alleged threats.

“I strongly doubt that he has anything to do with it,” he said.

http://tinyurl.com/2sfapu

Old 11-10-2007, 02:09 AM   #2
Clay Davenport
Justice Served: Tortoise Abuser to Serve Time

Bob the Tortoise's Attacker Sentenced to Nine Months in Jail
By EMILY FRIEDMAN

Nov. 6, 2007 —

A teenager who tortured and mutilated the pet tortoise of an autistic boy was sentenced to nine months in jail and must give up his own animals.

Jose Antonio Mosqueda, 18, of Ventura, Calif., was sentenced Monday to five years of probation and ordered to pay $5,479 in restitution. He could have received up to three years in prison.

Bob, the 45-pound pet tortoise Mosqueda injured, was the pet of a local Ventura family for more than 10 years and was the only one able to coax 6-year-old autistic William Sullivan out of his shell.

"The tortoise was my son's link to the world," Dorothy Sullivan, William's mom, told ABCNEWS.com. "[William] was nonverbal and noncommunicative with the world -- including myself -- but for some reason at a very early age he could respond to the tortoise."

One day, "I walked downstairs and I heard my son carrying on a conversation with the tortoise," said Sullivan. Before that day, "my child had made no noise at all."

But on a summer night in July, Sullivan went to check on Bob before she went to bed, like she always did, and found the 25-year-old tortoise missing. She suspected immediately that he had been stolen.

Bob was stolen, stabbed and slashed with a knife. By the time Dorothy Sullivan found him he had also suffered a cracked shell.

William unfortunately saw Bob when he came home bloodied and near death, and became hysterical, said Sullivan.

"Bob was William's first mate," said Sullivan. "When Bob got sick, William was convinced he was going to die."

Mosqueda pleaded no contest in September to felony animal cruelty. His attorney said the defendant wrote apologies to the family, but the judge still rejected his request to reduce the felony count to a misdemeanor.

The teen was given 270 days in jail but credited with 156 days already served and for good conduct in jail. He will also have to surrender his pet iguana, dog and snake.

Bob the tortoise survived his injuries and is still living with the Sullivans.

http://tinyurl.com/yoc7pk

Old 11-10-2007, 07:55 PM   #3
Benji
That almost made me cry. I have an ex girlfriend with an autistic little brother and can relate to the lack of communication and just the tortoise/boy story is so touching. To hear anyone would do harm to that tortoise affected me in a way I hadn't expected. I nearly teared up here at work. I'm just thankful to hear that Bob survived.
-Benji

Old 11-14-2007, 04:24 PM   #4
GinoInDaBronx
Unbelievable!

One has to believe that there is a special place in Hell for anyone who would harm a tortoise-and one belonging to an autistic boy, at that! Now, I really hope that there is such a thing as karma!

GB

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!