My jungle pair - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-08-2009, 03:58 PM   #1
AbsoluteApril
My jungle pair

Decided to try some outdoor shots in the shade, still not great but I'm learning, the colors are a little muted but not too off from real life. You know me, I just had to show them off.

The pretty gal in the center is Julie the Jungle Queen ('08 red group jungle poss het albino produced by Brian Logan) and the guy on the outside that didn't want to sit still is Kirk ('08 red group jungle produced by Matt Crabe).

I liked these shots, it really shows the high contrast the female has and shows off the soft pale pastel colors on the male.

Hopefully they'll make me some pretty red group super jungles one day!

Thanks for looking.
-April

Old 07-08-2009, 04:25 PM   #2
Randall Turner
They are beautiful. Jungles are such a great morph, I think the reason I like them so much (the non abby ones) is they are like wild types yet extreme. Good luck with them when you breed them down the road.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:50 PM   #3
Boa4u
Those are real good looking April!!

Old 07-10-2009, 04:04 PM   #4
AbsoluteApril
Thanks Randall and Alex!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Turner View Post
I think the reason I like them so much (the non abby ones) is they are like wild types yet extreme.
Yep, that is exactly why I like them too, like a nice normal boa but turned up a notch!

Old 07-12-2009, 11:05 AM   #5
Laura Fopiano
Nice critters April!

I have a hypo het albino jungle that is satan's sister. That being said I am a jungle retard, I wouldn't know one if it was placed ion front of me. Soooo I ask all of you who are experienced in these magnificent creatures to please educate LoLo the jungle retard.

Yeah I know, you might ask why did you get one if you know nothing about them, the answer, I got her in a trade from a very good friend of mine. She is an 08 from Pete Kahl and when I can I will get pix of her for y'all.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:46 PM   #6
Randall Turner
The bummer with jungles are the variability (especially when paired with other color mutations) making some of the lower visuals hard to identify. The 1 trait you will see in 90% of them though is the contrast of the top body color to the saddles, which usually appear to have a heavy outline on the saddles. Aprils pair above are still small enough the contrast hasn't really begun to pop, as they get older it will become more and more obvious. It is one of those mutations that takes time unfortunately looking at them to start seeing the trait with certainty when it comes to lower expression ones.

If you look here on Aprils pic (borrowed it to try and point out something). You will see the extreme contrast of the top color along the tail, and then the thick dark outline around the saddles. This is one of the things you will see (with not as extreme outlining) along the entire back of a jungle that is very pronounced in their appearance.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:06 AM   #7
TERRor
April those are gorgeous! I love jungles and plan to pick up a pair this year!

Can't wait to see the offspring your 2 produce!

Old 07-13-2009, 06:39 PM   #8
AbsoluteApril
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Fopiano View Post
Soooo I ask all of you who are experienced in these magnificent creatures to please educate LoLo the jungle retard.
Welcome to the wonderful world of jungles Laura! Hee!

It can be quite confusing and I spent a couple years looking at tons of pics and listening to other’s opinions before I made the leap to get any of my own (also was lucky enough to see a couple in person). Here are the main things I look for in a jungle:
1) aberrant pattern (which neither of mine really has but that has a lot to do with their bloodlines, in this case, red group line animals don’t have much aberrancies in general)
2) saddle outline – the saddles have a faded look in the middle and a stark outline around the edge (normally see this in the saddles closer towards the tail)
3) the ‘head hole’ (again, neither of mine have a good expression of this) in the arrowhead shape on the head of the snake, jungles tend to have a little open circle, you see this especially in super jungles
4) color – the base color on the top usually has a much richer yellow tone than the laterals
5) lateral line – jungles tend to have a line of dots that runs along the top of the laterals
I guess those are the main things I look for and you’ll notice a lot of ‘tend to’ in there, jungles are highly variable with some animals expressing all those things and some expressing almost none of them. I asked on another forum and the two I posted are considered mid-grade or ‘normal’ expression jungles.

As Randall mentioned, when another gene is in the mix that also messes with color and pattern like hypo, it can make the differences harder to pick out.

Not a great example, but here’s a shot of Julie eating you can see how the top base coloration around her tail is golden/yellow and then look at the laterals right above the feeder and notice they are quite a bit lighter with an almost purple tone to them

That difference will show more and more as they get older, or at least it should, with the top getting more yellow and the lats staying light.

So where are pics of your hypo jungle?

Old 07-13-2009, 06:52 PM   #9
AbsoluteApril
I should add that lots of normals can have one or more of those same 'jungle traits' but unless it comes from a known jungle line, it's probably just a normal (I remember when jungles were first out any abbarent boa was labeled 'jungle' or jungle-ish or possible jungle). I trust the people I got mine from and have seen the parents so I know these are jungles.

I have a hypo from a poss jungle litter where the jungle sire did not prove out as a jungle and the hypo baby has some very jungle-like traits, but again, not a jungle. I guess what I am trying to say is that it seems some of the traits are inherited in the non-jungle offspring but do not pass on in the normal jungle inheritable fashion.

I think I need another cup of coffee.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!