Perseid meteor showers - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:47 PM   #1
WebSlave
Perseid meteor showers

Well, this is supposed to be going on over the next few days...

http://earthsky.org/astronomy-essent...-meteor-shower

So I set out the GoPro last night to try out the night lapse capability to see if I could capture any meteor trails.

No such luck. And to make matters worse, for some reason the video got skewed towards the magenta spectrum. Not sure what is up with that. I tried to correct it somewhat with some post processing, but still, it would have likely turned out a lot better if that hadn't happened.

And it looks like a thunderstorm came in towards morning, so that kind of screwed things up too.

Anyway, maybe I'll have some better luck over the next couple of nights.

And I guess you can tell why I never got a nice telescope. That view is straight up from the apron in front of the garage. I don't have any better view of the open sky than that. That in itself might cause me to miss the meteor showers, as I thing they said they would be more visible towards the northeast. No such unobstructed view for me from here.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:07 PM   #2
WebSlave
I played around some more with the post editing functions of GoPro Studio. Seems to have blotted out the clouds better and taken out that colorization problem.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:12 PM   #3
WebSlave
I did another video last night, and there are some streaks across it, but I have no idea if they are meteor trails or something else. I'm using a 30 second exposure in continuous mode, so it should catch anything at all above the camera.

Still got that fake starfield with fixed stars for some reason. And still had the magenta overwash, but I think I did better this time getting the color out during post processing.

BTW, I would suggest that you go directly to YouTube to view these videos so you can blow them up to full screen sized in HD. Otherwise it's pretty difficult to see anything in this smaller version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnzGCMG3NhI

Old 08-28-2015, 02:15 PM   #4
WebSlave
Contacted GoPro's tech support about that problem I was having with the magenta overwash during night lapse video and they suggested that I do the latest update of the software in the camera. Looks like that might have fixed the problem.....

BTW, you REALLY need to watch this in fullscreen at HD.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!