2 ft snake - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 10-05-2006, 05:42 PM   #1
Spike119
2 ft snake

Are there any snakes out there thay make good pets that dont exceed 2 ft?

Old 10-05-2006, 05:54 PM   #2
clarinet45

Old 10-05-2006, 06:16 PM   #3
The Reptile House
Sand boas? Sure if you want a pet you will almost never see. I would say no that they do not make good pets, really cool snakes yes definatly. I like the Ring necks myself. Had some when they were still legal in California. I know people sell them but I am not sure of their status where you live, but really cool little fellows. Good luck, Shanell.

Old 10-05-2006, 06:23 PM   #4
Mooing Tricycle
Garter snakes are a good one, cornsnakes get 4ft, but are REALLY easy to care for! great beginner snakes! and they really dont seem 4 ft when theyre all curled up. they can live easilly in a 20 gallon Aquarium too, you can get one of those for 100 bucks or so at petco. They have sliding lids and everything!

Old 10-05-2006, 06:39 PM   #5
DAND
Rosy Boas are mellow and stay smaller.

Old 10-05-2006, 07:08 PM   #6
techgirl
garter snakes are good for starters. I had a little green snake in college, but they can be kinda flighty. rubber boas do stay small. sand boas are nice but you do have to give them something to dig into. There is a wide variety outdoor for you to consider. good luck finding one.

Old 10-05-2006, 08:39 PM   #7
hhmoore
Hognose snakes stay small - with an adult size ranging from 18-36 inches for most of the US forms. Southerns are the smallest, Westerns are bigger, and Easterns are the largest of the group.
Westerns average right around 2 ft, and are probably the easiest to maintain.
Easterns have a more specialized diet, toads being a preferred prey item, but they can usually be switched to mammalian prey. (When I kept them, I used rat pups as the primary diet & never had a problem...I don't know if furred mice would present a problem
I have no experience with Southerns, but I have heard they are a bit more difficult to keep.

Old 10-06-2006, 01:09 PM   #8
Roy Munson
Male African house snakes usually stay around 2 feet, from what I've read. Mine is only a hatchling, so I don't have firsthand experience with this. Females get larger, but I don't think they usually greatly exceed 3 feet.

Old 10-06-2006, 06:35 PM   #9
juggalo
Quote:
I like the Ring necks myself
I have to agree they are great. that was my very first store bought snake i bought three they were so cool and easy to take care of they need hardly any room at all they are just a great first snake. I am glad I read this post because now 22 years since i had the ringnecks I keep burms and I have few of those. But I really think it would be cool to have some of those ringnecks again.Anyway good luck in whatever you choose.

Old 10-06-2006, 11:26 PM   #10
Spike119
Thank you all so much for your help and reply's. I originally wanted a ringneck but 1. have heard they do no take well to handling are very flighty . 2. I can't seem to find any for sale or websites that sell them. I have pretty much narrowed it down to

Male Anerythristic Kenyan sand boa. Love the coloration Have always heard they are so mellow don't care to much about them hiding. The only thing I have heard that bothers me is that they are known to go on hunger strikes is this true?

Male Western hognose. Love the pattern and that upturn nose is cute Understand that they never really grow out of hissing or mock striking is this true?

Male African House snake. Somthing about their eyes Considered flighty and may turn on you if you restrain them is this true?

Male Rubber boa. Just very interesting looking. Can be finicky eaters is this true?

You guys are very preceptive in knowing this was my first snake kudos to you. Not a sexist what so ever just seems that the males are the ones that prodominatly stay reach the size I am interested in. I do want to thank you guys for being so nice and giving me suggestions. Now I have heard that another thing about all these snakes is the lack or necessity for lighting and that heating pads suffice just as well. Is this true? I would like to be able to handle my snake fairly often are all these snakes considered calm? Are any of the ones in my list considered flighty or nippy? I am new to the hobby and having a wife I do have my rules (size of snake, amount of room it takes up ) which honestly I dont mind. We do have my 15 yr old niece that comes over quite often as well and sort of helped my better half give the ok (her parents wont let her have a pet snake) , so she will spend time with the snake as well. I myself have always wanted one so it was a delight for me when she came up with the idea. Of course uncle will do all the CARING lol while she gets to visit him which is fine by me. These are the choices she and I have come up with so thank you all again for your kindess and help.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!