Bad Guy Jim Talioferro - Dead Shipment/Unresponsive - Page 7 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:48 AM   #61
EricIvins
A few question/comments here - ( I do ship Turtles/Tortoises very frequently )

1 - The Tortoise was shipped on a Friday? Really? ( I don't think I read that wrong? )

2 - A Tortoise that size should never be shipped through any overnight carrier.......They can walk right through that box.......The Airlines would be cheaper and more efficient for an animal like that........

3 - Were there any type of Ice packs or something to cool the animal?

4 - The only Turtle/Tortoise I've seen shipped taped up were smuggled animals......They don't make noise that way........Obviously someone is looking up to the wrong role models?

That was a really nice looking Sulcata though, one that was obviously raised right.......I seriously doubt that came through a rescue........

Old 08-04-2011, 10:53 AM   #62
Captive_Science
Just some notes, while reflecting, for all members/viewers..

The glaring mistakes I made during transaction..

1. Didn't scour the BOI initially for information
2. Did not view his FC profile
3. Communicated primarily through conversation and text messaging
4. Did not request address from which animal was leaving
5. Sent Payment via Paypal (gift), which the "gift" option seems to be the requested transaction of choice these days due to the transaction percentage costs.

We all know the rule about hindsight.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:05 AM   #63
Captive_Science
Eric - It was a very clean female with a great shell, etc.

There were no Ice Packs. There were holes in the box, but they did not penetrate the styro she was contained in.

I sent all of my shipping contact info at 1:48pm on Wed the 27th. When the animal arrived, the date stamp showed a shipment date of the 27th as well, so that would have put her shipping on a Wed. I am working on getting all the paperwork from UPS to track.

Another mistake I made was discarding the box with the tracking number due to the soiled state. I forgot to remove the tracking label before discarding.

I do not know, but I assume she was sent standard ground, as 2 day service would have put her at our facility Friday evening.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:22 AM   #64
akaangela
I am SO sorry this happened to the poor animal. I am also sorry it happened to you Galen. If anyone asks for paypal to be a "gift" don't do it!!! They won't give you your money back and you can't fight for it. If it is a purchase than paypal will at least try and get your money back. Have you contacted pay pal? I doubt they will do anything as you made it a gift but you can try.

I hope this person rots in hadies for this. That poor girl died a horrible death. I hope he get the same.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:31 AM   #65
Captive_Science
Angela - Like most, even though I buy, produce and ship reptiles frequently, I think I was wrapped up in the excitement of the purchase. Something new and different as I have never kept really large tortoises. This type of activity was really the farthest thing from my mind at the time as I was wrapped up in the considerations that I had everything ready to go for her arrival. Lessons learned for sure.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:44 AM   #66
Captive_Science
The originating UPS store has been very helpful and is tracking down details.

Unfortunately, they do not have the shippers address. Only phone and email.

The shipper, I believe is his girlfriend/wife. I am not completely sure of the relationship, but she appears to be the one that shipped.

The animal was shipped on a Wed and sent standard ground as confirmed by the UPS location that she was shipped from.

The UPS store was extremely helpful and was very positive on the shipping of live reptiles from thier facility. They conveyed that they can take additional measures to ensure the correct placement of animals, etc. during transit, if they know that the packages are live animals. The store also stated that they ship several lizards, etc. and will watch for any additional activity.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:20 PM   #67
Chuckels
You obviously have pictures of your DOA, do you have any pictures linking the box with the tortoise in it to Jim? I really want to call the Fish/Wildlife services on him. I've stated this in an earlier post, but that is straight up animal cruelty. Anyone who does that needs to be fined/imprisoned for as much/long as their worth.

I'm going to call the game warden where I am from and was raised, and see if theres any laws, which I'm sure there are, against what he did to this animal.

Please let me know if I can do anything Galen, seriously, please do.

Trey

Old 08-04-2011, 01:02 PM   #68
Captive_Science
I do not have a picture that directly links the label to the specific box, etc.

I do have the tracking number and associated information on the shipper of the package, Emily Schafrick, supposed spouse. In addition, I have the relevant communications directing where payment was to be sent, etc.

I believe there is enough evidence, from a fraud perspective, to initiate a fairly clean case. I am not too well versed on the cruelty piece and will have to research. The multiple offenses of breach, cruelty, false information, fraud, etc. can probably be tied together to make a more severe impact. I am not a lawyer, so there are assumptions on my part.

As stated in the advertisement of the female, there was a stated guarantee of live arrival. This did not have any detail regarding conditions and should stand based on the sole guarantee of a live arrival. I don't feel there is any argument against definition of either alive or dead in this case. The images pretty much seal that up regarding his guarantee.

I will have Mr. Taliaferros complete information shortly to get the legal process started.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:33 PM   #69
Nile.man
that make me sick..he sould not be alowed to ship in that kind of heat it was hot and i would not even let my reptiles out in it for 5 min let alone a weekend

Old 08-04-2011, 03:42 PM   #70
rabernet
This is easily one of the must gut-wrenching and heart breaking BOI threads I've ever seen. I'm so glad that the male survived and is now in your care, Galen.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!