Just a little bearable.... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Mammals > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Mammals.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:03 PM   #1
WebSlave
Just a little bearable....

Happened to glance out the bedroom window today and noticed that the bird feeder wasn't there where it should have been. So I walked into the bedroom to look out the window with a closer look, and saw the typical sign of a bear assault on it. It was bent over to the ground. Then I saw a dark shape a little bit into the woods, so I went to grab my camcorder...

It was broad daylight out, around 6pm, so I didn't have the bunny blasters set up for the bird feeder. I have been only turning them on at night, since I didn't expect a daylight assault on the bird feeder.

When I first saw the bear he was working on the screen cage that had been setting on top of the wood bird feeder. This held a peanut block that we put out for the woodpeckers, and I guess a bear can smell that from a long way off. When I retrieved the cage from the woods and inspected it, I had to just throw it away because it was pretty bent up and part of the chain was missing.

He then comes back to the feeder and laps up the sunflower seeds. Eventually I opened up the window and yelled at him, but he wasn't really too impressed with me, I guess. At the end of the above video he does look a little guilty, but not too much. Eventually he ran off into the woods when I clapped my hands at him, but he had eaten everything edible anyway by then.

This one is a lot smaller than the one we had a while back harassing the bird feeders. But still not something i would want to wrestle with.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:28 PM   #2
Beyond GenetiX
Hate to see that. They are beautiful creatures. Look on the bright side at least you are not backpack camping in the Smoky Mountains. Along comes a bear while you are out hiking and rip your tent, sleeping bag, and everything else you have just for your toothpaste. Yell all you want to, but he's got one thing on his mind... Minty fresh breath.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:45 PM   #3
WebSlave
That could very well be. But I have yet another thought in the back of my mind: 357 sig hanging from the belt on my hip.....

Old 10-05-2014, 09:01 PM   #4
Beyond GenetiX
Agreed, I've had the same thought since they allowed carrying in parks.

Old 10-05-2014, 09:29 PM   #5
Lucille
Part of me thinks it is cute because it is little. The other part of me knows what kind of damage these critters can do.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:09 PM   #6
JColt
Apparently this cheeky little turd has not heard of your Big Meenie authority! Cute vid though.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:31 AM   #7
Casey Hulse
That is a high quality video, good job!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!