I got tagged by a Gaboon!!! - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-30-2006, 11:43 AM   #11
Great Lakes Reptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldydrgn
Glad to hear you are ok.

I have one quick question, though. What did you mean by "unthawed rats"?
lol You know what I really meant

Old 11-30-2006, 01:16 PM   #12
Great Lakes Reptiles
here's my guess as to why I'm still here, just a guess.

the hemostats were 18 inch curved at the end, my had I thought was shielded at the bottom corner of the cage there is a 2inch lip on the front of the cage top, bottom and sides. I think she hit the handle of the hemostats (the round ring that my finger was threw) venom must of secreted (squirted) out at that point and the fang bounce off and slightly slashed the skin.

There was immediately a lot of a lot of blood for a tiny wound!? when I sucked the the bite site there was a strange taste, I spit out a fare amount of blood as well, it continued to bleed for about 20 minutes no bruising or pane at all, so there was defiantly venom, I know I tasted it, but maybe only on the surface of my finger.

see thread on Clark's forum

Old 11-30-2006, 02:05 PM   #13
Rattlesnake
Have you thought of what the consequences might have been if you would of had an open sore in your mouth? It would have spread the venom twice as fast than if you had of been envenomated by the original bite.

Old 11-30-2006, 02:11 PM   #14
Great Lakes Reptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake
Have you thought of what the consequences might have been if you would of had an open sore in your mouth? It would have spread the venom twice as fast than if you had of been envenomated by the original bite.
no thats the problem I wasn't thinking, putting my finger in my mouth was just a reaction. (maybe a hollywood reaction )

I almost forgot!
they did some blood work on me, a lot friggin blood work!!! one of the tests showed elevated enzymes that would indicate that I was having a hart-attack ? my ER Doctor was very confused about that, everything else was good hart-rate oxygen saturation 100% blood pressure was normal, so they did more blood work, it still showed up??? when he finally let me go (he new I wasn't staying any longer)I was told that if I started to feel sick to come back immediately!

Old 11-30-2006, 03:18 PM   #15
Rattlesnake
Well, thank goodness you are all right and that it was a dry bite. I think getting tagged by one of these very large venomous snakes is one of the worst bites a person can take. What with the amount of venom they are capable of injecting and the depth those large fangs are capable of reaching on a human.

Old 11-30-2006, 03:38 PM   #16
darkbloodwyvern
glad you are ok!
your friend should have an ANTIVENOM if he is owning a non-native hot!! He should know how to be able to deal with that kind of thing and instruct everyone who is helping him as to how to deal with a bite! You could have died, that should tell him something. If the local hospital doesn't carry antivenoms for your snake, someone could sue you if they or their family member gets bit by it and suffers damages. Expecting a North American hpsiptal to have antivenoms for a friggin AFRICAN snake is kind of ridiculous. I'm really glad you survived and hope there aren't any lasting consequences. You really should bother your buddy about buying antivenoms, he really should be covering his tail from a lawsuit and make sure that if anyone gets hit by any of his hots, that he can keep them from having to do what you went through.
I just worry that someday someday a lame law will be passed banning all snakes because of perceived threats from hots, and it's really tragic to think of the people who get hurt because the hot owner wasn't prepared for the inevitable bite. I'm really glad you are ok and didn't need the hospital's help -hope they don't send you a huge bill !

Old 11-30-2006, 04:11 PM   #17
Gerlow
God thing youre alright

Maybe, try to post you story on venomdoc.? Im sure Dr. Fry can explain the bloodtest results

http://www.venomdoc.com/forums/

Old 11-30-2006, 05:36 PM   #18
joshdhensley
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkbloodwyvern
glad you are ok!
your friend should have an ANTIVENOM if he is owning a non-native hot!! !
It sucks when we slip up when handling hots, but sometimes it happens. Sometimes it is very bad, too! Your friend should really consider keeping his own antivenom with a bite protocol near it to take with you to the E.R. in case of another accident. Be safe.

Old 12-01-2006, 12:54 PM   #19
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Lakes Reptiles
here's my guess as to why I'm still here, just a guess.

the hemostats were 18 inch curved at the end, my had I thought was shielded at the bottom corner of the cage there is a 2inch lip on the front of the cage top, bottom and sides. I think she hit the handle of the hemostats (the round ring that my finger was threw) venom must of secreted (squirted) out at that point and the fang bounce off and slightly slashed the skin.

There was immediately a lot of a lot of blood for a tiny wound!? when I sucked the the bite site there was a strange taste, I spit out a fare amount of blood as well, it continued to bleed for about 20 minutes no bruising or pane at all, so there was defiantly venom, I know I tasted it, but maybe only on the surface of my finger.

see thread on Clark's forum
Well I think you were DARNED lucky! The fang(s) hitting the hemostat rather than embedding in your finger probably saved you from one heck of a serious time in the hospital. I doubt it had anything at all with a dry bite. I doubt that happens very often in a FEED RESPONSE strike.

Old 12-01-2006, 01:47 PM   #20
SPJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkbloodwyvern
glad you are ok!
your friend should have an ANTIVENOM if he is owning a non-native hot!! He should know how to be able to deal with that kind of thing and instruct everyone who is helping him as to how to deal with a bite! You could have died, that should tell him something. If the local hospital doesn't carry antivenoms for your snake, someone could sue you if they or their family member gets bit by it and suffers damages. Expecting a North American hpsiptal to have antivenoms for a friggin AFRICAN snake is kind of ridiculous. I'm really glad you survived and hope there aren't any lasting consequences. You really should bother your buddy about buying antivenoms, he really should be covering his tail from a lawsuit and make sure that if anyone gets hit by any of his hots, that he can keep them from having to do what you went through.
I just worry that someday someday a lame law will be passed banning all snakes because of perceived threats from hots, and it's really tragic to think of the people who get hurt because the hot owner wasn't prepared for the inevitable bite. I'm really glad you are ok and didn't need the hospital's help -hope they don't send you a huge bill !
Hospital do not stock the AV and most will not use what you bring so that is a mute point. Have you ever seen the incompetency that is prevelant in the ER regarding envenomations? Most will refuse to administer AV brought in by the bite victim because they want to cover their asses since they do not know what to do. They are afraid to use it since it might be a way to sue them. As long as you participate in an AV bank, it is available. Just have to make sure the doctors actually get it.
Having the data with you on what to do means NOTHING. I brought a protocol book and the ER refused to look at it, refused to listen to me, and went about attempting to treat it wrong. But hey, what do I know compared to conceited doctors who think they know everything. And mine was a native hot. They should at least know how to treat a bite from a hot found right outside their doors.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!