Back to back critter shipping? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:46 PM   #1
Lucille
Back to back critter shipping?

Sometimes when ordering a critter from a vendor, they are not the producer but instead get the critters from other places.
If one wants some critters from a particular incoming shipment, is it OK to have them reshipped right away or should one ask the vendor to hold onto the critters and get them acclimated prior to reshipping them out to their final destination?

Old 05-14-2012, 05:24 PM   #2
hhmoore
Interesting question, Lucille.....my initial thought was "It depends".
Temperatures can be an issue for many species, and more fragile species would probably fare better if some "recovery" time was allowed...even if temps aren't extreme. Well established CB specimens of hardy species would probably be fine; while others should probably be hydrated between trips, at the very least. Obviously, there are other considerations, but I'll leave those for other participants.
(One can always argue that if they are packaged properly, it shouldn't be a problem)

Old 05-14-2012, 07:15 PM   #3
deborahbroadus
The way I see it is, one of the reasons that "unopened" bags are so cheap is because technically the receiver isn't housing or putting in any "extra" work on them. I imagine if I were to be the middle man in an instance such as you outlined, it would add to the cost factor.

But, your concern is the animal. I am of the mind, that breeders are not going to be willing to put in the extra work, so I am on the side of shipping out as soon as you get the animals, because the sooner they are done shipping the sooner they can de-stress.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!