Info TexHiss Jimmy Horton - Poor Animal Condition, Bad Shipping Practices - Page 6 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 10-03-2015, 04:11 AM   #51
calmolly1
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraB View Post
That's very obvious.

Is that your snake room? No labels, no IDs, no feeding records or birthing/hatch records on a single tub; absolutely nothing on any tubs or racks to indicate any kind of ID/record keeping at all?
No nuthin' on any tubs? Sorry, but I would have expected better from a breeder in business as long as you claim.

It does look clean and spacious, I will admit that; but how can you possibly / how do you keep track of the health, growth, feeding of all those snakes if that is, in fact, your snake room?

What is with that Mazuri rodent food bag sitting in that chair? Just curious.
That's <his> rodent room. Maybe if the rats spent less time in their palatial surroundings and more time in the snakes, he wouldn't have the problem of skinny babies. I have a rodent room a quarter of the size, a mish mash of racks, but happy well fed rodents and most importantly well fed healthy snakes. Just Cuz it's famcy doesn't mean it anything.

Old 10-03-2015, 04:34 AM   #52
Kuamata
Wow, every two weeks?... For a baby?... I'm sure you probably think my girl is 'fat', then. I've had her since the end of January. She eats every week and is what a healthy boa should actually look like, not wrinkly, thin, or with sticky skin. :/ She's suitably filled in, in all the places she should be. Strong, you can feel those muscles when she moves, and that squeeze when she wraps around your arm. This baby? He is weak... this is not a condition a boa should be in.

I find it really funny that you said, earlier, that the baby you sent me has only had five meals since May, and then when people called you out on such a horrendous practice, you changed and said every two weeks(which still isn't acceptable for a baby, more so for an adult)... You may of been great in 2011... but today, in 2015, I can't say that peoples' raving of years ago quite match up to what I've experienced. This is why I put this out there, so others can take what's happened here into consideration. If I had known this was the state of the snake I was buying, I probably would not have purchased and would have looked for someone more... ethical... but, you know what? I'm glad you falsely advertised with that healthy picture, because now he's going to get the care he deserves.

I'm still in utter awe of the things I am hearing from you. Once a month for a baby, every other week for a baby, loose skin is perfectly normal... I'm just appalled, truly.

Old 10-03-2015, 05:10 AM   #53
LauraB
I know it was his rodent room ... which is why I posed my question and wondered why he would post the pic when the OP's snake was so skinny, and clearly not "maintenance" fed, especially when he has so many feeders at his disposal.

I wanted him to explain ... and maybe even to post a photo of his snake room.

You do have a beautiful snake, Mikasa. I know you will do right, despite the breeders neglect.

Old 10-03-2015, 08:36 AM   #54
Casey Hulse
I could be mistaken, maybe an old picture, but that looks like an empty rodent room. My rodents all have food on top of the screen, and the floor is always covered with shavings (that one is pristine). That room looks like it just built, def. not well established. IMO.
As far as the snake. I have had baby boas several months old that I had to assist feed small prey items that looked much healthier.
Just admit you messed up, apologize, make it right with the O.P. and this will be a done issue.
Unless you want it to remain on page 1 for a few more weeks??
Good luck to both of you!

Old 10-03-2015, 09:09 AM   #55
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonbreeder View Post
if the snake was dehydrated its because it was in a box for 24 hours.
A magician!!! You put a fat happy snake in a box, and 24 hours later,voila, out comes a miserable skinny dehydrated creature!!!
You could make millions with weight loss salons, have some large boxes made, collect a fee and have the client walk into the box, and 24 hours later your client emerges skinny!

Old 10-03-2015, 10:07 AM   #56
tim brophy
It was maintenance fed. Some breeders do it to save money. If this snake was not sold this year, it would simply be sold in 2016 as an undersized 2015. Some dealers just keep it alive until it sells. Whatever happened to the fun in keeping herps? These are not beanie babies. They are living organisms.
The good news is that this buyer can save this snake with decent care. Good on her!

Old 10-03-2015, 11:59 AM   #57
Guy Castro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
A magician!!
You could make millions with weight loss salons, have some large boxes made, collect a fee and have the client walk into the box, and 24 hours later your client emerges skinny!
Can I get in on the ground floor??

Old 10-03-2015, 12:00 PM   #58
Guy Castro
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim brophy View Post
It was maintenance fed.
The glamorous way of saying...STARVED!

Old 10-03-2015, 12:14 PM   #59
ElexisC
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraB View Post
That's very obvious.

Is that your snake room? No labels, no IDs, no feeding records or birthing/hatch records on a single tub; absolutely nothing on any tubs or racks to indicate any kind of ID/record keeping at all?
No nuthin' on any tubs? Sorry, but I would have expected better from a breeder in business as long as you claim.

It does look clean and spacious, I will admit that; but how can you possibly / how do you keep track of the health, growth, feeding of all those snakes if that is, in fact, your snake room?

What is with that Mazuri rodent food bag sitting in that chair? Just curious.
Those are rat racks Laura.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Old 10-03-2015, 12:17 PM   #60
AbsoluteApril
So many people overfeed their snakes, boas really do better with slow growth. Generally, feeding every 2 weeks is going to be okay, I usually do 10 days for baby boas until they are a year old. Adults every 2 weeks can be a bit much even, 2-4 is usually better for boas. Opinions and results can vary, depending on the size/qty of food.

The baby boa in the ad looked pretty good. However, I think the majority of us agree that the baby the OP received appears to be in terrible shape. These two photos stood out the most to me. There should not be sagging in the lats! The tail looks deplorable! It's sinking in around the bones. That baby needed either a larger item or to be fed more often. He should recover in the OP's care, thank you for letting us know about this.
Attached Images

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
boa, breeder, texas