Info Boaphile cages NOT lizard safe. Do NOT purchase for lizards. - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:01 PM   #41
ShadowAceD
I agree with most of what has been posted already.

Modifications of products generally always voids warranties, and there are a broad range of products this holds true for. The mods you made could have compromised the structural integrity of the caging.

I would have sent the cages back, because as said before, you kind of shot yourself in the foot by not just building the things yourself if you were going to go through and modify the crap out of them like that.

Also, Jeff Ronne is known for not being able to be reached all the time by e-mail. Have you attempted to call him? That was the only way I was able to get ahold of him when I was looking into buying prefab caging. It is just the nature of his business. Some agree with it, some don't, but it is how it is.

That aside, I'd take what he supposedly said to your friend as hearsay and nothing more because, as you know, believe half of what you see and none of what you hear. It really does often ring true.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:51 PM   #42
DavidBeard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisw View Post
So if I buy a xbox 360, modify it to play ps3 games and the cd rom breaks after modifying the system to do what I want. I should expect Microsoft to replace the 360?

I personally do not own any Boaphile cages, if I was the builder I would write this off as it was damaged because all the modifications. I do not understand how you expect any type of warranty after you have heavy modified the enclosures.
You took the words right out of my mouth.....I was about to use the EXACT same example, lol..

Old 12-21-2010, 03:42 PM   #43
toxxxic.kitten
I agree with everything that has been said thus far. If you would willingly spend $2000 on a stack of cages that would only house the Iguana for a year...I think you should have just spent your money on a custom built enclosure that would have housed the Iguana for its lifetime instead of spending the $2000 and then a year later having to spend MORE money to buy a proper enclosure as it got bigger. But, I mean...if you just have the money to spend...

As usually with any warranty to any item it usually gets voided when said item is tampered with and I don't think the hinge should be replaced. But, if it were me...I would have replaced it to stand behind my product's lifetime guarantee.

Old 12-21-2010, 03:48 PM   #44
Ameivaboy
Quote:
But, I mean...if you just have the money to spend...
If they've got the money to spend I'll come build the cage for them for 2k

Old 12-21-2010, 05:18 PM   #45
Lizzy65
When I was first looking for cages, I ran across Jeff's name many times, so I called him. While it's true that I should have known better, the same is true for him. He should have referred me to another manufacturer instead of jerry-rigging a snake cage into a lizard cage...for the money. Also, yes, I should have returned them immediately, however I didn't realize the hazards until it was too late. I DID return the snake cages he built immediately.

The hinge broke without any help from me. Maybe it was the extra weight, but I certainly didn't want that to happen. I have a beardie in there.

Anyway, one of my iguanas has since been moved into this beautiful custom-enclosure we made out of a closet.

I am currently looking for a cage for my other iguana. I will probably go the custom-made route again, as the choices for huge wood enclosures are few & far between (or just plain overpriced.)

Old 12-21-2010, 05:56 PM   #46
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy65 View Post
I should have returned them immediately, however I didn't realize the hazards until it was too late.
Bare light bulb, low cage, arboreal lizard. It's not rocket science.

I'm more interested in whether you and the seller consulted as to plans, did he specifically realize this cage was for an ig?

Old 12-21-2010, 06:04 PM   #47
Drew Zaun
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucille View Post
Bare light bulb, low cage, arboreal lizard. It's not rocket science.

I'm more interested in whether you and the seller consulted as to plans, did he specifically realize this cage was for an ig?
Indeed so. Also, were these "stock" cages, or custom made to your order?

Old 12-21-2010, 08:23 PM   #48
Focal
Sweet closet enclosure!

Old 12-21-2010, 08:58 PM   #49
Foschi Exotic Serpents
This thread confuses me. Im certainly not going to take sides on this but I think this info might be worthwhile.

When I decided to purchase my Boaphile stack over a year ago I spoke to Jeff a few times as well. I did ask him if one could be modified for a bearded dragon. A part cut out of the top for a proper bulb. He specifically told me that due to the construction of the cages, they would not be safe for lizards that required heat bulbs. He told me he had only built special custom lizard cages for a zoo which he had a guarantee that they would not mis use or modify them in any way. He also claimed they had to be a certain height to support this type of bulb and only up to a certain wattage. He was very adamant and even a little annoyed that I even asked. He told me there was too much liability involved and that he refused to build cages that way.

This was well over a year ago. Did he change his own personal rule?

As for the hinge.. The only way one of those hinges would break the plastic like that is if the hinge itself froze and refused to move or if the door was open and excess weight was placed on it. Does anyone here have kitchen cabinets with metal hinges? Open the door too far or force it beyond it's max open position and it will break from the cabinet or break the hinge.

The way that plastic is broken should not have happened with normal use. That is why the question was asked by another poster. How did it break? Was someone pushing down on the open door? Did the hinge mechanism itself freeze up? Was the plastic around it already cracked? It didn't actually break anywhere near the hinge or bolts so it couldn't have been a stress crack caused by drilling the bolt holes.

Like I said, I'm not going to take sides or stick up for Jeff but this is exactly what he told me during our conversation prior to my purchase. His response to my questions and his seriousness about it is why I'm confused. I bring up the broken plastic around the hinge because that truthfully looks like a consumer caused accident and not a faulty piece of equipment. So excuse my prosecutor type questioning and examples but I felt it needed to be put out there.

I also agree that Jeff needs to be made aware of this thread. He has gotten mixed reviews in the past over turn around time and communication issues but he deserves to know when something like this is posted.

Old 12-22-2010, 12:49 AM   #50
AubreyHepburn
I'm fairly certain you need to excuse Dav Kaufman from this discussion. He played no part in this scenario, and loosely referencing something that you claim he said doesn't benefit you or positively influence your desired result at all in this complaint. Take it up with Boaphile, but don't drag extraneous individuals into this, please.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
boaphile, iguana cage, lizard, lizards, snakes