mist or not mist ETB and GTP - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Arboreal Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-19-2016, 06:36 PM   #1
jsshark1
mist or not mist ETB and GTP

Hello every one,

I have been keeping emerald tree boa and Green tree python for year and I have been in conflict on if I should mist water on the snake or not,

for humility I use a humidifier with a timer and controller that keeps the tanks at 85% from 11am to 3pm then the tank stays around 65-70%, I have a drinking bowl on one side of the upper perch for drinking and a large water tray on the bottom of the cage .

so humility is not the case it is respiratory infection, I seen on a post spraying water on the snake lowers the snake body temp and can give the snake a respiratory infection and he has not had a snake get sick since he stopped spraying water on his snakes, I have not sprayed water on my snakes for months they seem to be ok ,

one of my snakes still got a respiratory infection last week after she shed making me wander is it better or not to mist water on the snakes , I read every where that it is so important to mist the snakes .....

thanks for reading

Old 09-21-2016, 06:24 AM   #2
Edwardo
Hi,

I keep emeralds and hardly ever mist, except sometimes the night before I know they are going to shed, just to help them out a bit.

The idea is moderate to high AIR humidity, spraying the cage down and creating condensation and wetness all the time, isn't necessary and can even cause other problems.

A cage that is set up in the ball park, rarely needs to be misted.
Think humid, not wet. Bob

Old 09-21-2016, 01:25 PM   #3
jsshark1
Thanks for the reply,

I agree moderate to high AIR humidity not wet , my humidifier dose both things , besides adding humidity it gives the tank fresh air,,,,

I just always wander when I see the videos of ETB in a pure white wet humidity full tank.

Old 09-22-2016, 06:24 AM   #4
Edwardo
The truth is they really don't need any more humidity then any other tropical snake.
maybe some believe they do because they can be tricky problematic snakes to keep and by having them really humid or even wet they think they are less likely to have trouble with them. Just my guess.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!