Questions about baytril - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-07-2017, 09:49 PM   #1
Croakersoaker
Questions about baytril

I took my milksnake to the vet as it has a respiratory infection. The snake weighs approx 300 grams. He gave the snake a shot of 5 mg baytril 100. He gave me another 5mg shot and told me to to give it to the snake in 3-5 days. That's it two shots total. Does this sound right?

Old 03-07-2017, 10:55 PM   #2
Insomniac101
I'm not sure about the dosing schedule for Baytril, but that medication can cause ulceration at the injection site. Did your vet take a specimen for culture?

The better broad-spectrum antibiotic for reptiles is Fortaz (ceftazidime), which has a similar injection schedule as you were given. Injections are given every third day, but usually for three weeks.

I would clarify the dosage, and injection schedule with your vet.

Good luck!

Kathy

Old 03-08-2017, 12:46 PM   #3
Donald C
While I'm not sure on dosage and schedule, just two injections seems a little on the low side. When I had treatment for an one of my animals requiring injections, I had to give a total of 10 injections, spaced out every 72 hours (3 days). Can't say if this is a case of apples and oranges, as you're treating for something different.

That said, my vet recommended against feeding during the treatment period. There are conflicting studies on the impacts of feeding while on systemic antibiotics.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!