The Osmosis Project - Potential New Gene - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-17-2016, 03:45 AM   #11
Deuce
How exciting! They're very beautiful; I can't wait to see updates on this project.

Old 03-23-2016, 03:21 PM   #12
snowgyre
Well well well, I had to threaten selling her I guess for the founding female osmosis to get interested in breeding again. I had her paired with her son to try for supers for the past two days, but she wasn't interested. Threw my disco yellowbelly male in there last night out of frustration and bam! Lock! You go dude! I'll be throwing my male fire yellowbelly cinnamon ghost in there too in another week or so. Since she's already paired I'm not going to try for a super this year (otherwise the offspring would be too confusing if multiple sires), but I had just about given up hope on this girl! She's in deep blue in this photo so her colors are bleh.
Attached Images

Old 03-23-2016, 06:17 PM   #13
phoenix-cry
I guess she's not interested in letting you find out if there is a super form! Does this mean you're keeping the project? I think I saw you had it up for sale. She really is stunning, even in blue.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:05 PM   #14
snowgyre
I had two calico osmosis males from her second clutch. I'm keeping one but just sold the other. I'm also selling the three calico males from her daughter x son pairing. I never refreshed the advertisement because I was only of half-a-mind to sell it to begin with. Nobody took advantage of my temporary weakness, so I'm keeping them now. ;-)

Old 03-23-2016, 09:10 PM   #15
phoenix-cry
I almost sold my black pastel pied female a few years back, I'm so glad I got no offers!

Old 03-23-2016, 09:37 PM   #16
Big Borg Reptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgyre View Post
I had two calico osmosis males from her second clutch. I'm keeping one but just sold the other. I'm also selling the three calico males from her daughter x son pairing. I never refreshed the advertisement because I was only of half-a-mind to sell it to begin with. Nobody took advantage of my temporary weakness, so I'm keeping them now. ;-)
This is me with a bunch of stuff, I'll put an ad up for a day and delete it after I sleep on it. I saw the ad and found it pretty interesting, good luck on getting it figured out. Super cool female.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:01 PM   #17
Dro B
I'm definitely intrigued after seeing this clutch. Are you planning to keep any? It would be awesome if you were the first to prove a super calico, and the breeders out there who know that dominants don't exist might see the possibility as an added incentive and maybe youd get more for them as well.

Old 01-21-2017, 03:14 PM   #18
Dro B
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgyre View Post
All four eggs hatched about 2 weeks ago, but I was so busy I didn't have a chance to post the update until now.

Although I hatched what I consider are four very nice calicos, I did not get what I would consider to be a super osmosis calico. I will wait for them to age before I try to determine whether all, a few, or none got the osmosis gene (osmosis calicos tend to have a unique hue).

There are three possibilities I can see so far with this project:
1. The female possible osmosis calico is just a very nice calico, so no super was produced because she didn't have the osmosis gene.
2. Bad odds... I only had a 25% chance of hitting a super with a single gene x single gene pairing, so maybe I just missed it.
3. Osmosis is a dominant harlequin gene with no super.

So far it looks like I have one male and three females. I will be keeping one female (haven't decided which yet), but the rest of the clutch I will probably sell. I simply can't keep them all. I may also sell the osmosis calico adult male in picture 3 in post 3, haven't made up my mind yet.
Was this clutch from an animal that could be a super calico? Kind if hoping you've done research and at the very least accepted that there's a possibility and that 1 calico x calico where the person didn't even attempt to prove the offspring as super is enough to justify the putre incinuation that there isn't a super, or that the super pin and leo look identical to the base gene and that is likely to be the case with calico. Also I would gaurantee that bieng the first to prove it out would put you on the front page of the reptile report and probobly even earn a "sticky" on the side of the front page.

Old 08-05-2017, 11:29 AM   #19
snowgyre
So this year my founding female still wouldn't pair to her holdback sons, so I threw in my fire yellowbelly cinnamon ghost. I got six eggs, and I have to say I'm a bit disappointed. Some of these have potential, but none are what I would consider smoking guns. So either I just had terrible odds on this clutch, or osmosis reacts quite subtly with other genes. I'm not sure.
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2017, 11:30 AM   #20
snowgyre
More photos:
Attached Images

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!