anyone know about american toads? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 07-08-2017, 11:56 AM   #1
pageleanne
Unhappy anyone know about american toads?

i found this American toad the other day and he is the absolute cutest thing. i bought him a tank and put some coconut substrate in it and rocks and a bowl of water. he was swimming the first day i got him and hopping around and climbing a lot. the second day, he slept a lot but swimmed again and hopped around a lot again and then went to bed earlier than the day before. now for like 3 days straight, he's been sleeping 99% of the time and only wakes up to move a little bit. maybe it's also worth mentioning i tried to feed him crickets a few days ago and it really freaked him out cuz i took him out of his cage to put him in a different cage where he would eat the crickets and he got really scared. he hasn't eaten anything this whole time !!! how can i get him to eat if anyone knows? he won't wake up to even eat or soak in his bowl! i spray him w water so he stays hydrated.

Old 07-08-2017, 11:16 PM   #2
borrowedlight
these kind of toads like to burrow a lot, so make sure you have enough substrate in there for that. also, it's normal for an animal to be withdrawn when first put into a new environment. I wouldn't take him out of his terrarium to eat, its find to put the food right in. If he doesn't eat the crickets make sure to remove them because they can pick at his skin while he's sleeping.

he'll likely eat in a day or two once he's left alone to relax or settle in. They are typically very good eaters and like a variety of different things. If crickets don't work you can try nightcrawlers, meal worms, or even those little rolly polly pill bugs that you find under rocks outside. good luck!

Old 07-09-2017, 11:04 AM   #3
pageleanne
borrowedlight, u are so sweet. thank you for ur reply. u really put my mind at ease. it was so helpful. i hope you have an amazing day (:

Old 08-20-2017, 10:19 AM   #4
LadyJemima
Watch out -- those guys like to pee all over you when you handle them!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
american, frog, toad