Tinctorious or Variabilis? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Amphibian Discussion Forum

Notices

Amphibian Discussion Forum General talk about amphibians of any type.

Old 08-23-2017, 10:35 PM   #1
Roscoe09
Tinctorious or Variabilis?

I would like a to get a different dart frog but can't decide between the two.

Tinctorious Sipaliwini:
Pros:
Bigger and Bolder
Lives about 15-20 years
Cons:
50 dollars (plus shipping = 95 total)
No near me

R. variabilis
Pros:
Small can have a small colony
Very beautiful
Near me for about 30 dollars
Cons:
Small(I know I put on both)
Shy
5-8 years old

They would be in a ten gallon vivarium. I have a mistking hooked up to a crested gecko and soon will be hooked up to some G. Araneus.
What is the best type of false bottom(hydroballs, Josh's frog mix, or the white crate)?
Thanks
-Chandler R
If anyone has a Green Sipaliwinis in Colorado then I would definitely get the tinctorious. If you have some in Colorado, Cheyenne(WY), or Northern New Mexico then PM me please. The tank is going to be ready by Nov 15th so plants can grow in.
Thanks again!!

Old 08-24-2017, 08:23 PM   #2
Dyscophus antongilii
What experience do you have with Dendrobatidae in general?

Do you have a "reliable" supply of food, if, you go with the Ranitomeya variabilis? Since, they require smaller prey items. Which, depending on your geographical location, isn't always easy to source. Just something to think about. Not trying to be discouraging.

Generally speaking, I feel the Ranitomeya variabilis are less "forgiving" of keeper error then the Tinctorious sipaliwini. That is just my personal experience. Have you considered any other species like Dendrobates auratus and or Dendrobates leucomelas?

Lastly, I would go with Joshes Frog mix for a "substrate".

Old 08-24-2017, 09:59 PM   #3
Roscoe09
I would consider myself a beginner. These would be my first dart frog I have done extensive research on them and have a reliable source of fruit flies. I'll wait to get the thumbnail but I really like the sipaliwini but have looked into green and black auratus. Which would you recommend tincs or auratus?

Old 08-24-2017, 10:00 PM   #4
Roscoe09
Oh thank you by the way

Old 08-25-2017, 02:11 PM   #5
elena
I have generally found auratus to be the best beginner dart frog, but tincs are a good choice too. As mentioned, leucomelas are a good choice too. All of these species are larger and hardier than many other dart frogs and more forgiving of husbandry mistakes. When I was the manager of a pet store, these were the only three species we carried in store, as they had the best survival rate in that stressful environment. All other species were special order only.

Old 08-25-2017, 03:00 PM   #6
Roscoe09
Okay I have a few places around me that sell them. I'll message some. I also have a reptile expo coming in a month and a half. I also have a few questions too.
Can fruit flies be left in the cage after I feed the frog or should attempt to get them out?
How often do I have to feed one or two frogs?
Will the clean up crew (isopods and springtails) ever overpopulate in a ten gallon?

Old 08-25-2017, 03:02 PM   #7
Roscoe09
Thank you! I appreciate it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!