Is this mouth rot? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Skinks & Tegus Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-25-2016, 08:28 PM   #1
Duff0712
Is this mouth rot?

Hello. I've had fire skinks for just about 2 weeks now and I noticed the mouth on one of the skinks has been continuously opened for a few days now. It's like it can't fully close it. I have been reading around and it could be a deformity, but I really think it is mouth rot Hopefully someone with more knowledge on this subject can confirm or (hopefully) deny and I can figure out what it is so I can treat it correctly!

I took the best pictures I could. It sits under my UVB/Bask area most the time. Usually just its head, but I notice a full body bask every now and then. It is also eating D3/Calcium dusted crickets I put in.

At the moment I am using Reptaid and putting in their water dish. At the moment I cannot really grab it for a closer look because of the enclosure I have it in. But if need be I will.

http://i.imgur.com/6WInfAO.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/3QgZ3sK.jpg

Thanks

Old 07-25-2016, 10:19 PM   #2
JButera
Looks like mouth rot (Infectious Stomatitis / Ulcerative Stomatitis). Very treatable if caught in time.

Old 07-25-2016, 10:26 PM   #3
Duff0712
Quote:
Originally Posted by JButera View Post
Looks like mouth rot (Infectious Stomatitis / Ulcerative Stomatitis). Very treatable if caught in time.
How would you suggest treating it? Should I just keep putting the reptaid in its water dish or is there a better way or medication that I could use without having to grab or hold it?

Thanks

Old 07-25-2016, 11:14 PM   #4
JButera
Is a vet visit doable?

Old 07-25-2016, 11:45 PM   #5
Duff0712
Quote:
Is a vet visit doable?
I'm not sure.

The way I built the terrarium has it hard for me to dig them up. I would have to wait for it to come out and it isn't 100% used to me yet. I would most likely have to rip my terrarium apart.

Old 07-26-2016, 10:29 AM   #6
JButera
Any treatment I can think of would require you to catch and hold the skink on a daily basis until the animal shows signs of improvement. Minor mouth rot can heal on its own with good nutrition and proper husbandry; however, if it gets progressively worse the animal will most likely die from it. I've never used the medicine you mentioned but from what I hear Nolvasan® or Chlorhexidine works great for treating mouth rot. Good luck.

Old 07-26-2016, 11:22 AM   #7
Duff0712
Quote:
Any treatment I can think of would require you to catch and hold the skink on a daily basis until the animal shows signs of improvement. Minor mouth rot can heal on its own with good nutrition and proper husbandry; however, if it gets progressively worse the animal will most likely die from it. I've never used the medicine you mentioned but from what I hear Nolvasan® or Chlorhexidine works great for treating mouth rot. Good luck.
Thanks. I'll give those a look and weigh my options.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!