Any suggestions for a "fairly common problem"...? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 02-04-2017, 09:22 PM   #1
Dyscophus antongilii
Question Any suggestions for a "fairly common problem"...?

Hi All.

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting watermarks/water spots off glass terrariums? Like, those marks that form from misting the organisms enclosure, in order to increase the ambient humidity.

Thanks for your time and looking.

Old 02-04-2017, 09:57 PM   #2
Herpin Man
I have had success using lime and rust remover. I don't recall the brand name right offhand. Dilute the lime remover with water and apply it to the affected glass. Let it sit for a while, and scrub with a dish scouring sponge. You may need to repeat the process for heavy deposits. Rinse THOROUGHLY before putting herps in the enclosure. Amphibians in particular are very sensitive to chemical residues.

Old 02-05-2017, 09:28 AM   #3
E.Shell
Vinegar (acetic acid) is a good, "non-toxic" acid that will remove mineral deposits using much the same procedure outlined above.

Some spots may be etched into the glass and may not come off.

Old 02-05-2017, 10:48 AM   #4
Dyscophus antongilii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herpin Man View Post
I have had success using lime and rust remover. I don't recall the brand name right offhand.
Thanks so much for that information.

Quote:
IDilute the lime remover with water and apply it to the affected glass. Let it sit for a while, and scrub with a dish scouring sponge.
What is your "procedure"/ratio of dilution? I.E.: Amount of water to chemical.

Quote:
You may need to repeat the process for heavy deposits.
In my case, repeat, many many many times.

Quote:
Rinse THOROUGHLY before putting herps in the enclosure.
That is for sure. Thank you, for the reminder.

Quote:
Amphibians in particular are very sensitive to chemical residues.
Yes, that is for sure. That is the part that worries me the most, since, they are for Anura tanks/vivariums. Also, I am a "giant worry wort", in general.

Thank you, for your time and attention on this matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Shell View Post
Vinegar (acetic acid) is a good, "non-toxic" acid that will remove mineral deposits using much the same procedure outlined above.
I think that I would feel better trying this method first. Since, it is for Amphibian vivariums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Shell View Post
Some spots may be etched into the glass and may not come off.
That is a fantastic point. I would be happy to just remove fifty (50) percent of them. Yes, I had that many! !

Thank you, for your time and attention on this matter.

I would also like to ask you both and anyone else that might know, is human toothpaste good for removing water spots on glass? If so, what brand/type do you recommend?

Thank you all for looking.

Old 02-11-2017, 10:07 PM   #5
phil5245
Try misting with reverse osmosis water, the filtered stuff from the machine at the grocery store. No deposits, as it is mineral free. This doesn't help your current situation, but will make things much easier in the future.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!