Bearded dragon attack friend needs help. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-20-2017, 09:47 PM   #1
Reptiles 101
Bearded dragon attack friend needs help.

Ok so a friend of my moms bearded dragon was attacked by a cage mate. From what i could see it looked like a broken jaw, i told them they should take it to there exotic vet, but they weren't sure if it was or wasnt a broken jaw and wanted to no what they could do for it? The dragon is 3 months and curently cant close its mouth on the right side but is eating.
Attached Images

Old 04-20-2017, 09:53 PM   #2
snowgyre
The jaw could be broken or dislocated (reptiles have more than one bone in the lower jaw, unlike mammals). Prognosis is not good for this bearded dragon. Anesthesia and surgery are likely. Definitely requires veterinary attention. Euthanasia may be necessary depending upon the animal's condition and your budget.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:56 PM   #3
Reptiles 101
Thank you i just send your response to them.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:34 PM   #4
Insomniac101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptiles 101 View Post
From what i could see it looked like a broken jaw, i told them they should take it to there exotic vet, but they weren't sure if it was or wasnt a broken jaw and wanted to no what they could do for it?
If they want to know what they can do for it, they need to follow your advice, and take it to a qualified veterinarian. By their own admission, they don't know if the jaw is broken. Only one way to find out. At least get a professional opinion, even if that means euthanasia. Doing nothing is not right, in my opinion.

Thank you for advocating on behalf of the poor dragon.

Kathy

Old 04-20-2017, 10:40 PM   #5
Reptiles 101
Ok it is now closing its mouth and doing better according to them. They have been giving it frankincense and coconut oil but i still recommended they see the vet just incase.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:22 PM   #6
Reptiles 101
Update pics its opened its mouth back up
Attached Images

Old 04-20-2017, 11:45 PM   #7
Reptiles 101
Does anyone know a good vet in Oklahoma? Thats were they live.

Old 04-21-2017, 12:25 AM   #8
Insomniac101
Have them check out the Association of Reptile and Amphibians Veterinarians (ARAV). www.arav.org

If they have a regular vet for other pets, that vet should be able to refer them to a herp vet. There are also emergency facilities that treat reptiles, but they're expensive.

Thanks for the updated photos. He looks better, but i would still take him in.

Kathy

Old 04-21-2017, 12:33 AM   #9
Reptiles 101
Thank you

Old 04-21-2017, 06:50 AM   #10
Robert Walker
Only attacked by a cage mate.

Perhaps on a different day, PETA would jump out and cry foul play, abuse and owner neglect.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!