Why people here low ball offers? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:41 AM   #11
Beyond GenetiX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
Try advertising on FB. Tons of lowballing cheap MF's on there.
It's everywhere, I think presentation has a lot to do with discouraging or encouraging the right clientele. People make assumptions about the person who placed the ad, simply by looking how the ad is presented. I do it all the time.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:41 AM   #12
Insomniac101
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysteino View Post
It's tiresome. Almost to the point of not offering on this sight.
Jason, this is a great site; please don't write it off yet. Lowballing happens EVERYWHERE, from car dealerships to garage sales.

Just tell those people "thanks for the inquiry, but I'll have to decline". You are under no obligation to explain that response to anyone, or to engage further with someone you have no intention of selling to.

Kathy

Old 07-07-2017, 10:44 AM   #13
jaysteino
I have used FBI. My opinion is that fauna is worse with low balling. I deleted my FBI because there rules on animal sales and poor results. I also didn't like the mob mentality of fb groups etc.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:47 AM   #14
bcr229
People in general are cheap, doesn't matter where you advertise. If an offer is insultingly low simply ignore it and do something more useful with your time, like clean out your snake enclosures.

If you think it's bad with reptile sales, don't try to get into the gun biz; brick and mortar retailers are taking it in the shorts right now.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:48 AM   #15
jaysteino
Thanks katchy. I am not giving up just yet. Just wanted to see how others react. Thanks again for the advice

Old 07-07-2017, 11:09 AM   #16
Lucille
I have advertised a few non herp items locally and had extreme lowballs. A low offer is not an extreme lowball, if they offer 60-70% I'll write back with a counter offer.
But each time a genuine extreme lowball happens, I will write back and tell them that sure, I will accept $10 over my asking price (If the item is priced by me at $100 and they offer $25, I will tell them I'd be happy to accept $110). If they are so foolish as to write back and repeat their offer, I add another $10 each time they write back.
It gets them all flustered and aggravated, and the more flustered they get, the more I feel like karma indeed works in the universe.

I try to be nice to potential buyers, if they are new, or have questions, or any of that I'm happy to help. But the lowballers and the foreign-country-scammers-paying-by -cashiers-check-and-will-send-their-agent types, they deserve to be flocked with.

Old 07-09-2017, 03:39 AM   #17
Magic
As others have said, don't get discouraged.

I find some people on here (everywhere really) just don't know true market value. They'll see one morph, and assume that's the "going rate".
And it's often hard to educate on why a het or morph is more expensive than a normal. Especially to those people just looking for a pet.

My peeve is when I get the "yeah I understand that it's got a really interesting genetic background, and you've bred generations of it, but I just want a pet!" ...and then they offer a pet price of what a normal goes for. I usually then tell them to drive and wait for the last minute of an expo and hope they get a miracle.

My best advice:
Keep the animal you're trying to sell around. Clear cage/rack space for it. Actually get it into your head you're keeping it and get a breeding plan. Never fails, soon as you do that, you'll get a great offer on it. Happens every time.

Old 07-09-2017, 12:20 PM   #18
Chance
Interesting discussion. I tend to see the opposite as far as reasonable sales prices and offers here vs other venues like fb. I can't tell you how many normal bps I've seen on fb being offered for the "super low price of only $300 with its enclosure!" Bah...

For me, Fauna is one of the only places I can go and expect to see real, reasonable market values instead of hyper-inflated ignorance-driven sales.

Old 07-09-2017, 03:07 PM   #19
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I can't tell you how many normal bps I've seen on fb being offered for the "super low price of only $300 with its enclosure!" Bah...
Bear in mind those people got everything from a big box pet store and paid $400 retail for it, so they think $300 is a good deal. If they did some research they'd have known better.

Old 07-10-2017, 01:42 PM   #20
Beyond GenetiX
Maybe a separate thread should be started. Maybe a list of low ballers, somewhere the names and offers can be posted as screen shots. That might slow them down a little. I'll ponder on it a little longer.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!