Non-feeding Calabar Burrowing Pythons - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 01-04-2007, 11:16 PM   #1
Behmfamily
Question Non-feeding Calabar Burrowing Pythons

After getting burned on several recent acquisitions of Calabar Burrowing Pythons, I decided to explore the offerings from various suppliers and the ability of getting WC Calabars to feed in captivity.

Currently, I keep about 200 of these animals in my collection. All were WC and feeding success has been on an exception basis. In addition, I now have many Calabars residing in Africa that I am trying to get to feed using various native rodents. I'm trying to sort the feeders from the non-feeders in the 2 months following collection. Ultimately, what I have found is that less than 5% of the animals will take native rodents in their place of collection, never mind here in the U.S. Once in my possession, I set up the appropriate environment and attempt to feed with pinkies and fuzzies of the following:

1. Rats
2. Mice
3. Gerbils
4. Russian Dwarf Hamsters

The results are that no animal has eaten more than once in the last 6 months and some have never eaten. Currently, various suppliers are offering Calabars that they represent as feeding. When I ask for proof, none can be provided.

Now, I'd like to inquire of the members of this forum:

1. Has anyone had success in feeding Calabars?
2. Can anyone provide recent pictures of a feeding Calabar?
3. Did anyone buy a Calabar with the claim of "currently feeding?"

I really enjoy this docile species, but the mortality rates in captivity are extremely high. I'm questioning whether they should be imported at all.

Possibly, if we put our heads together, we can solve this riddle.

Thanks,

Mitch Behm

P.S.- The only upside to all of this is that my 3 daughters have one heck of a Russian Dwarf hamster colony.

Old 01-06-2007, 12:26 PM   #2
The BoidSmith
Mitch,

Check with the Barker's (VPI). As far as I know they have been working with and breeding calabar's for some time.

Regards.

Old 01-06-2007, 01:22 PM   #3
Behmfamily
Dan,

I did and they emailed me back that they no longer did.

Mitch

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!